• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noises

5bucks

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ Classic. Two noises bugging me. First is a light clunking from driver's side front end when turning left. It's rythmic with clunk frequency related to forward speed. Again this only happens when turning better than 30 degrees or so to the left. When I first noticed this it only happened for the first few miles of driving and more so when it's very cold out. It's becoming more constant now in the past week or so.

Other noise happens after I've come out of 4WD. About 50% of the time after shifting back to 2WD I'll get a large clunk...nearly a bang after driving a 1/4 mile or so. First time this happened was at night. Thought I had hit something. The noise seems to be coming from near the passenger side front wheel. 4WD operates normally otherwise

Had same kind of problem with my 94'. Took it to several people that I trust to work on my Jeep and we figured out that it was the wheel bearing.
I would start there if I were you.
As for the 4WD, when was the last time that you had the fluids changed in the T case?

5bucks said:
Other noise happens after I've come out of 4WD. About 50% of the time after shifting back to 2WD I'll get a large clunk...nearly a bang after driving a 1/4 mile or so. First time this happened was at night. Thought I had hit something. The noise seems to be coming from near the passenger side front wheel. 4WD operates normally otherwise
This sounds like the front axle disconnect releasing under load. Do you take your foot off the gas while shifting to 2WD? I always try to coast for 50 to 100 yards after I shift back to 2WD to give plenty of time for things to disengage.

For the first sound, jack up your axle, then grab the driver side wheel at the 12 oclock and 6 oclock positions and try to rock it. If there's play there, then it's probably your wheel hub assembly. I just replaced mine this past weekend.

Gojeep has a nice writeup on how to replace it. You'll need a 36mm socket and a 13mm 12 sided socket if you don't have them.

Back