• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np242 issues.. I think.

nekocopter

NAXJA Forum User
Well, it seems my transfer case is on the fritz... When I put it in part time, low or high range, it makes this awful clicking sound, which seems to worsen when I turn... It has done this a few times just driving around in 2wd. In Full Time, it doesn't seem to make any noise at all, turning or not...

Yesterday I was on my way to work, and I was in 3rd gear (aw4), and if I loaded up the motor at highway speeds, I could hear the "Click click click click", but as soon as I let off the gas, it would disappear... (No, the motor isn't knocking, it's coming from directly beneath my seat.)

I've done quite a bit of searching the forums, but couldn't find anyone with similar issues.

My plans are to drain the fluid, and see what kind of chunks i'm looking at..

I really like the 242 case, and don't really want to replace it... I have a 231 case I picked up for a hundred bucks, but this is more of my daily driver, and I like to have the full time option..

Anyone have any input on this? You think the chain is possibly just stretched and could be skipping teeth? That's almost what it sounds like to me...

Any advise would be appriciated.

Possible partial trade for the 231 I have?

I'm gonna see exactly what is wrong with mine before I make any definate decisions, but i'm definatlely interested if mine is toast.

I had my 242 do something similar. When in 4 wheel drive (part time, full) it would drive straight ok, sometimes clunk. but when i turned the wheel it just did it constantly. Figured out the previous owner had run it out of oil so the chain was skipping teeth. I found so much metal in the lower drain plug that no oil could come out. check for metal

Back