• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adjustable vs. stock ball joints

confused

NAXJA Forum User
I have a question on ball joints. I just gave my '91 XJ a 3" lift and I need to replace the ball joints too. I've heard of adjustable ball joints but have no idea when they would be used. Is lift the determining factor? Any problems with 3"? I'd prefer to use non adjustable and would hate to buy these only to find I should have gotten the adjustable ones. I'd be interested in what the group has to say.

Generally, adjustable ball joints are needed when camber is out of specs with new ball joints--meaning something is bent, or set up wrong from the factory. Occasionally, caster on one side is in excess of 1/2 degree of the opposite side. This could also be fixed by adjustable ball joints. Some trucks (not Jeep) came from the factory with 0-degree caster--adjustable ball joints can give 1.5 degrees caster in these cases. Normally, you what not need adjustable ball joints.

With correct arm lengths, lifting shouldn't affect caster that much. One advantage of the 4-link over radius arm suspensions, is the 4-links ability to keep caster constant as the suspension cycles.
At 6 inches, my caster was still within specs, according to two different front-end alignment shops.

Note that adjustable ball joints aren't exactly adjustable. They are available in various increments of offset and you buy the ones that provide the amount of correction that you need.

xjbubba, there's more to it than just caster. Yes, you can get caster to an acceptable setting, but your pinion angle at the front diff will generate ugly vibrations. Adjustable balljoints will tip the pinion up while letting you run enough caster.

With my old D30 disconnect front axle, pinion angle was not an issue for me. Perfection really requires you remove the "C's" from the axle housing, and rotate to the correct setting. Using off-set ball joints will only get you about 1.5 degrees correction--not nearly enough to result in, let's say 5* caster, pluss a pinion angle that allows for vibration-free operation on the street with a 5-6inch lift. That's the reason I'm in favor of D30 disconnects, if you can't afford a D44 or D60 with disconnect hubs.

Ummmm...... you're still wrong. 6" lift, 2 degree offset balljoints, 5 degree caster and a nearly straight operating at the axle end driveshaft on a 94 non-disco.

ChiXJeff said:
xjbubba, there's more to it than just caster. Yes, you can get caster to an acceptable setting, but your pinion angle at the front diff will generate ugly vibrations. Adjustable balljoints will tip the pinion up while letting you run enough caster.

exactly....

Can't be right all the time:patriot:

Back