• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax-15

green95xj

NAXJA Forum User
Im buying a 93 xj tommorow with the ax-15 tranny. When i get the jeep i am going to change all of the fluids. I was wondering what you recomend for tranny fluid? Also what is a good gear oil for the axels?Thanks

GL-3 gear oil, I think 75W-90 should serve.

Do not use GL-5 (and I've still got to change that on my own site...) no matter what the manual sez. GL-5 contains added sulphur as an "Extreme Pressure Lubricant," and the Aisin transmissions use bronze synchronizer rings. Sulphur is antagonistic to copper and copper alloys, and will rapidly accelerate wear.

I usually use Sta-Lube gear oil - it's what I can find easily, and it works well.

However, whatever brand you use, whatever weight you use, make sure it's GL-3 (preferred) or GL-4 (acceptable.) If all the parts house has on the shelf is GL-5, go somewhere else.

i run 75-90w sta-lube most of the auto parts stores around here carry it

but ive found the pricing can be weird one place charges 29.99 a gallon and another place charges 19.99 for the same stuff

Thanks for all the replies anyone know of a good place to get the redline mt90. souunds like thats the way to go especially if its cold, and it sure is cold now.

I use Syncromesh by Penzoil. Had 188k on my XJ, previous owner never change fluid. Was sticking a little going into second. Once I changed fluid to the Syncromesh it was like a new tranny.

i think im going to try the syncromesh its the only thing available locally that anyone has recomended.thanks for all the replies

mackamitsu said:
I use the NAPA brand GL4, it is happy with it and its only about 4 bucks a quart.
I used the NAPA house brand GL4 after I rebuilt my AX15. I was thinking I would run the cheap stuff for a week until the new synchros and bearings settled in, drain it, and refill with the good stuff. It shifted so bad with the NAPA stuff I thought I buggered the rebuild. I couldn't get it into 1st gear without it grinding when it was cold!

I almost pulled the tranny back out, but instead I drained it 3 days later and put in the RedLine. The difference was like night and day. The Redline shifted very smoothly, especially when cold. BTW, the NAPA GL4 has some sulfurs which will shorten the life of the brass synchros.

lawsoncl said:
I used the NAPA house brand GL4 after I rebuilt my AX15. I was thinking I would run the cheap stuff for a week until the new synchros and bearings settled in, drain it, and refill with the good stuff. It shifted so bad with the NAPA stuff I thought I buggered the rebuild. I couldn't get it into 1st gear without it grinding when it was cold!

I almost pulled the tranny back out, but instead I drained it 3 days later and put in the RedLine. The difference was like night and day. The Redline shifted very smoothly, especially when cold. BTW, the NAPA GL4 has some sulfurs which will shorten the life of the brass synchros.

Odd I've had a little stiff shifting now and then, I just chalked it up to the 298 thou on the clock. I guess I'll be changing it out payday, I'm about due anyways.

Back