• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Steering would you do and why?

98XJROKS

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, first of all I realize there are alot better steering systems out there.

My XJ is still a DD so I've chose to stay away from Heim joints. I've researched alot of steering systems and seen how they all work. I'm sitting at around 6" now and need to change the steering to allow for a better geometry.

all three of these steering systems seem share the same geometry, or at least it appears that they do. I know that JCR uses chevy high angle TRE's and a HD DOM Tubing ( the one i'm leaning towards) . But I dont know much about the rusty's or the poss of the YJ steering.

Rusty's
YJ steering
sc-250_01.jpg

697c_2.jpg

JCR 1-Ton Steering
steering1.jpg

Last edited:
JCR easily, Cause I got a discount, but now after having it.....It really "firmed" up my steering and have no need for a stabilizer and my Jeep goes 80mph often. I am at 6" upfront and have ran 33s and 35s with zero issues.

I hear horrid stuff about Rustys and whats with the YJ steering? There are better alternitives than those two.

Zack, any pictured of your steering installed?

I've heard of some guys changing over to the YJ steering because it sets the same geometry as the other two, although it's not nearly as strong, the idea is to get rid of the stock Y-link. I'm not sure if this is considered a Y or a T.

Last edited:
I had the Rusty's over the knuckle steering system and it worked fine. And it's nice to have that extra clearance. Some people don't like the welded portion of that Rusty's tie rod end, they feel it is week.

But if I were to do it again, I would use the 1 ton TRE's and taper the knuckles for over the knuckle steering. Best of both worlds, and the taper specs work out that the large diameter hole of the stock taper, equals the small diameter hole of the 1 ton TRE taper.

The JCR 1-ton stuff looks very nice. BUT, how easy is it to get parts for if you break down on the trail? You also have to ream out your knuckle so no going back to a "stock" scenario.

I have been running ORO's U-turn for about 7 months and like it a lot. No dead spot, bumpsteer, no stabilizer, etc.

I do know that no matter what steering setup you go w/ constant flexing (droop/compression) of the front suspension is going to kill the TRE's. Regardless if they are 1-ton or not. The thing I think is going to cause problems w/ the JCR kit in the long"er" run is the fact that their draglink is straight. Most other kits are straight as well but ORO has placed 2 bends in the kit to help ease the amount stresses the TRE's encounter.

just my 0.02

Yeah, I'd have to agree. The UTURN is ideal but they only offer it for TJ...Is this system on your XJ?
The 1-ton system to my knowledge uses TRE's that can be found in almost any parts store.

UTURN...
DSC08148.jpg

uncc civilengineer said:
The JCR 1-ton stuff looks very nice. BUT, how easy is it to get parts for if you break down on the trail?

just my 0.02

It uses stock Chevy 3/4 ton TREs and if you severly bend the tubing you'd of done the same on any other setup.

98XJROKS said:
Zack, any pictured of your steering installed?

I've heard of some guys changing over to the YJ steering because it sets the same geometry as the other two, although it's not nearly as strong, the idea is to get rid of the stock Y-link. I'm not sure if this is considered a Y or a T.

everything you need to know or see:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=900183

Rock Krawler X factor steering...its also Over the Knuckle (otk)...I would say its probably one of the strongest setups I have seen and its got a pretty good price also.

Yes the UTURN works with the XJ. It's built for a Dana 30. It will fit on the front as long as your wheels push your tires out far enough. On their website, it says:

Offroad Only said:
15" wheels with more than 3.75" of backspacing may deliver an interference with the U-Turn Hubs, light grinding may allow fitment, wheel spacers to adjust backspacing optional.

I purchased the kit, got it within 3 days, and installed it in about 2 hours. Easy install... I'd recommend it.

Scott

Yeah, I would say they have by far the easiest/best install.. Everything fit perfectly.. But its expensive.

Also, im not positive but isnt the JCR setup still the Inverted "Y"? So, does it fix the dead spots, ect?

Looking at Zackmans Jeep which isn't OTK doesnt give the correct alignment with the trackbar, but he comments that he gets no bumpsteer.

looking at Blue XJ's rig, he has intalled OTK and it looks like it's aligned perfectly without relocating the trackbar...??

So, IMO, why wouldn't or shouldn't it be installed OTK and not worry about the trackbar relation? Woudn't that eleviate grinding the cups too? Relocating the swaybar mounts isnt a big deal.

98XJROKS said:
Looking at Zackmans Jeep which isn't OTK doesnt give the correct alignment with the trackbar, but he comments that he gets no bumpsteer.

looking at Blue XJ's rig, he has intalled OTK and it looks like it's aligned perfectly without relocating the trackbar...??

So, IMO, why wouldn't or shouldn't it be installed OTK and not worry about the trackbar relation? Woudn't that eleviate grinding the cups too? Relocating the swaybar mounts isnt a big deal.

I just went by the instructions (part of the deal to getthe kit cheap) and no I don't have bumpsteer. What do you mean I don't have corrct alignment? Ohh well she'll go 80+ mph with my hands off the wheel with no nothing haha. Trust me if I had any issues I'd have a steering stabilizer slpped on my Jeep, it sees 18k miles a year.

BTW you can run OTK, just more work. I plan to go true histeer on my hp d44.

Last edited:
uncc civilengineer said:
Also, im not positive but isnt the JCR setup still the Inverted "Y"? So, does it fix the dead spots, ect?

No dead spots at all, the poly spacer they include solves that issue.

ZachMan said:
and no I don't have bumpsteer. What do you mean I don't have corrct alignment? Ohh well she'll go 80+ mph with my hands off the wheel with no nothing haha.

Just by looking at the picture of your jeep from the link you provided above. Your Draglink isn't completely parallel with your track bar. Ideally it should be for a bumpsteer free feel.

So, I've located a UTURN First Generation steering with new joints and new Spares included for $350.

I'm not sure that I can beat that?? Whats the deal with the First Generation, that tells me they've released other (s). Anyone know?

98XJROKS said:
Just by looking at the picture of your jeep from the link you provided above. Your Draglink isn't completely parallel with your track bar. Ideally it should be for a bumpsteer free feel.

Well honestly its the same as stock, I just got the entire kit for the price of a beefy tierod lol. My whole intent was to just get something beefy and a better steering feel, I got that. But yeah no bumpsteer at all.

Yeah and if thats the case then what else can a guy ask for. Honestly, this was the steering I was leaning towards and how to istall it was a question for me.
I noticed that Blue XJ stated that he had alot better anlge by moving it up and it doenst look like he had any of the issues described by others in regards to relocating the trackbar etc.

WHo can offer more about the UTURN steering? I see they have Bung Mig welded ends, and what size TRE's are used?

Last edited:
uncc civilengineer said:
The JCR 1-ton stuff looks very nice. BUT, how easy is it to get parts for if you break down on the trail?

It uses standard spicer parts stocked at any auto parts store.

Almost anyone you see running a dana44/dana60 uses the same parts, so spares are easy to find when needed.

Back