• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody install a 8" Skyjacker lift?

r/c-pilot

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody install a 8" skyjacker lift? Was it difficult? Any spacific problems? How long did it take you? What to look out for?

I have installed two on two xj's and overall it is very straight forward -bolt on- and pretty easy to adjust and set up. I am only skeptical of the control arm mounts on the frame which are pretty beefy but hang down very low. IMHO there are better 8 inch kits out there and for that much lift a long arm upgrade is reccomeded. The rear was just a leaf pack and shackle set up, pretty simple and the rock ready components were easy as well... the joints seemed to be the weak point on the lift and the bright red paint does have some appeal but gets old after a while... i think for that price as well you can put together a better kit for the money. overall pretty easy but at that height you have to do a SYE kit, new driveshafts and extended brakelines which you dont have to do normally with a smaller lift - just keep that in mind b/c my friends lift kit started adding up b/c he thought it would include everything to drive.

i run the 8 inch coils though and love them

anyways just another lift install... pb blast all the bolts though before hand this saves a lot of time and frustration

oh took about 8 hours between me and my friend taking our time but i would definatly set a side a weekend there always seems to be a problem somehwhere- now new gears, sye, driveshaft, brakelines, etc obviously took us more time

How about Superlifts? The reason I ask is, my buddy owns a local offroad store and these are the lifts he carries, SL. & S.Jacker. Unfortunatly, here in Illinois, not alot of wheeling is done, so 97% of time it will be daily driver. I'm probably only going to do this 1 more time, (I've had 7 other 4x4's) so I want to make it funtional as well as good looking. I do plan on Wood's SYE, regearing and ARB air lockers. I also plan on using a couple of Wrangler MTR's 35's that were left over from the last TJ. What is your opinion on a good "package" or "system" lift?

8" lift is for like 38s.

Go RE or TNT, which is still RE.

I'm at a good time in my life, I can afford it. This will probably be the last time I do this. When I do go wheeling here, it's going to be capable.

8 inches is fine for 35's you could i guess sqeeze in bigger tires with some more trimming but 35's are ok... now RK is going to be a tougher kit and i do not think superlift makes a kit for the xj bigger than 4 inches but i could be wrong... but if your friend has access to skyjacker or superlift i mean for the money that might not be a bad deal... the rk is great and i have the long arm upgrade and it has great review and is super beefy... the 8 inch coils are flexy but stiff enough on the road (i do not have a swaybar)

Have you seen mine around. Its a green 97 with probly 7" and 33's. I live in Hinckley, and Im at the jewel in Sugar grove all the time. I can't believe how many lifted cherokees their are in the area. 3 in my town alone. can't wait to see it when its done. Oh by the way, what offroad shop does your buddy own? The only two I know of are total performance in somonauk, and fox valley truck parts.

CAS in North Aurora (Custom Auto Sounds & Acccessories). 630-897-0418 I live off of Bliss rd. Were you at A&W in N. Aurora yesterday? I saw one there in drive-thru while I was walking in. I shop at Jewel al the time. My XJ is steelblue 4dr all stock with NAXJA & MWC stickers on left rear window.

nope, that wasn't me, heres mine
jeeppics002.jpg

its got so much stuff I can't even explain,

basically
RE 5.5 longarm kit, with 1 inch blocks, and 1.5 inch spacers
33" mud terrains
4.56's still open though
homemade bumper
a bunch of other stuff

Their was some cutting on my kit (RE5.5LA) but that was only the stock control arm brackets on the frame. Im not sure, but I think you might be able to leave those on, just bend them out of the way a little bit. But I remember those being pretty hard to cut off, and I was using a plasma cutter, also, the welding is not "required" just for extra strength, the bolts themselves are plenty strong enough as it is.

Oh yea, its about 27", from the ground to the bottom of the rocker.

Back