• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heat problems

kdx

NAXJA Forum User
so winter is here and my 97 cherokee sucks at giving heat, it blows out fine just it only gets luke warm. anybody know what the problem is.. sorry if i didnt search good enouph

do you have a temp gauge? is it below normal........need a t-stat?

do's it have a lot of mile on it.....time to fllush out the heater core!

flash.

im sorry if i sound dumb here but im 17 and just got my jeep a few months ago , is any of this possible todo by myself. flushing the heater core? ifsohow. thanks a lot for the help so far

kdx said:
im sorry if i sound dumb here but im 17 and just got my jeep a few months ago , is any of this possible todo by myself. flushing the heater core? ifsohow. thanks a lot for the help so far

flushing the heater core is just a matter of finding a warm place to do it and and a garden hose.

remove the 2 heater hoses from your heater core, were they come out at the fire wall. put the garden hose on the inlet or out let and turn the garden hose one(be prepared your going to get wet real wet before your done! just keep going back and forth form the heater cores inlets and them the outlet till the clear water stays clear coming out the eater tube.
Reinstall heater hose and top of your cooling system.

If you don't have a warm place to do it then spring would be a better time to do it.

Flash.

The heat in most Jeeps suck. Just put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator. you cant see it if you put it behind the grill. Also I wouldnt do the heater core trick just yet. if you use to much water pressure or if its cold it could burst. Just try the card board till spring then you can fix it at your leisure. GOOD LUCK!!

I had intermittent heat on my '99 XJ. Almost no heat at idle and heat somtimes at highway cruising RPMs. Drove me nuts for about a week. Previous owner had for some reason disconnected the overflow tube from the radiator fill neck to coolant resivour. Radiator was down about a quart of coolant. That was enough of a deficit to cause no coolant flow to the heater core at idle. Topped off the radiator and heat was good at all RPMs. Interesting that being down a quart of coolant had no effect on coolant temp. It's always 208-210 regardless of outdoor temp or operating conditions.

Note to self: Check fluids more frequently!

i had the same issue with my 96, flushed the core...no better, level was fine, pressure was fine, everything seemed ok. i decided to remove the vacume actuated heater valve and redneck fix it, now it blows soooo hot and you can still cool it off with the switch, it still even gets cold becuase of the blend door.

heres the pic of my makeshift fix.
S5000620.jpg

Hmmm I'm having the same issue here except I flushed my heater core and my whole coolant system with a chem flush then I ran compressed air through the hoses at the t-stat housing (which one of them is for the heater core) and I even got a new t-stat. so I still have weak hor air...
anyone else know what it could be?

DO NOT use tap water in your engine. OK to flush but make sure you drain it out afterwards. The minerals in tap water will cause problems in your cooling system.

dizzymac said:
DO NOT use tap water in your engine. OK to flush but make sure you drain it out afterwards. The minerals in tap water will cause problems in your cooling system.

UNLESS... maybe you're using an anti-rust chemical along with the tap water?!

Sure sounds like the control valve.

While on the subject of draining/flushing, can someone tell me what wrench the 4.0 takes for the block drain plug? I've tried what sockets I have but lack metric hex. I was expecting a square drive -- if so it's a size I don't have.

selarep said:
UNLESS... maybe you're using an anti-rust chemical along with the tap water?!

Think about your shower head. Rust isnt the problem calcium build up is.

Back