• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how much play do you have in your steering wheel?

cocoloco

NAXJA Forum User
i have about 2.5 inches of play in my wheel.took it to the alinement shop and he said every thing is tight.

canadianwheeler said:
I got about 2 inches of play as well. What is it from?

Its probably from lifting your jeep.. The inverted Y setup isnt the greatest in the world. Im running ORO's U-turn and do not have any play or maybe 1/2" or so.

Do you have a deadspot around 10 and 2?

I probably one have about 1" of play in my XJ, of course my steering wheel is also pointed 90 degrees to the right when I'm traveling strait ahead. :)

bigolexj said:
Yeah, but your rig is built like a brick shithouse (pardon the expression). :D

Well, going to hydro assist, true crossover, and adjusting the sector gear / power piston backlash on the steering box probably had something to do with it too. :)

Stock steering box tho, so the tech still applies. What I'm referring to is the backlash adjuster screw on top of the steering box. As the internal components get worn / loose, there is a nut you can use to adjust the mesh between the gear teeth on the sector shaft (which the pitman arm connects to) and the power piston (the thing that actually moves inside the box when you turn the wheel). Much like adjusting backlash on a ring & pinion in an axle.

I'll see if I can dig up a service procedure for it or something.

cocoloco said:
i have about 2.5 inches of play in my wheel.took it to the alinement shop and he said every thing is tight.

Seems to be common on Jeeps. Could be that the bushings are wore out the alignment shop may not have check that. Also having good shocks will help too.

I got about 1.5-2" of play in my wheel and i took it in to get it aligned again, having once aligned it after lifting it, and they said everything is tight, and it was normal.

and no i do not have a problem with dead spots at 10 and 2.

if you only have 2" play i wouldnt worry to much about it.

I have about 2" of play with my wheel too. I thought something was wrong with it. I guess not. I have a '91 limited no lift and stock tires. Is there anyway to eliminate that, ya know, for the wife?

Rev Den said:
No play at all here.

You guys with play in your steering need to fix it.

Rev

Car and Driver magazine reviews cars with this characteristic sometimes, they have a good term for it:

Sneeze 'n' Swerve. :rof:

11:30 to 12:30-pretty sure its normal, my buddies got a 3/4 ton dog ram with similar front suspension/ steering-just bigger on 38's, I can barely keep it on the road nevermind in a straight line,he said he just got used to it.

Before I got my adj trac bar and with 3.5 lift I had no play. But the axle was pulled to one side. Now i have play. I realized it was normal after I bought my kid a stock 93 country. I was thinking of getting that borgenson shaft except that i'ts a few hundread. Friends that have Jeeps and driven my jeep say it feels like driving a Trans am. Whaaat ?

Back