• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard Start

jeepboy_90

NAXJA Forum User
1997 XJ w/ 4.0

Having trouble starting. Have to crank it for some time, also it helps if you depress the gas pedal. What could it be?

Older cherokees and may be newer also, must be crancked two full revolutions before it starts firing. Therefore it is a slower starter than most other engines.

regards
Torfinn

actually the older jeeps with the older flywheel design takes 2 full revolutions before the the computer picks up the crank position in order to fire the motor.

the newer ones shouldn't take as long to crank as the older ones.

My '94 does the same thing. The starter is new and cranks very fast but it still takes a few seconds to start in the morning. I checked the fuel pressure and fuel leak-back at the regulator and all are normal as per the FSM. I replaced the TPS a few months ago when it went bad but it didn't effect the starting time. It starts a bit faster once warmed up but not by much. I'm about to just accept it as normal.

jeepboy_90 said:
1997 XJ w/ 4.0

Having trouble starting. Have to crank it for some time, also it helps if you depress the gas pedal. What could it be?

Before you start cranking, make sure you hear the fuel pump prime. You can do this a couple of times. If your jeep starts right away after priming 2-3 times, then you may have an issue with your fuel delivery system. Check the pump, fuel filter and ballast resitor.

Back