• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ACA'S, Drop brackets, or long arm????

MDSIDMAN

NAXJA Forum User
I am at about 5" of lift. Might add a 1" spacer. Question is what are some recommendations and experience regarding control arms. Obviously need something. Just trying to decide which route to go. Adjustable upper and lowers, Drop brackets, or a long arm kit. Has anyone built their own long arm kit and where can you specs? How high has anyone gone with just adjustable UCA and LCA and was the ride ok? Do drop brackets cause a clearance issue? Thanks for any input

By the time you buy drop brackets, and adj. CAs... you're gonna be spending more than long arms will cost ya.

Long arms are intimidating to some people, because it seem like such a drastic change, but once you see how simple it really is, and realize the benefits especially off road.. I wouldn't go any other way.

You'll need some long 30" shocks or so. The longest shock Skyjacker makes for the Cherokee is 28.75" extended.

Pro Comp makes one the measures alomst 31" extended. This is what I'm running with 6.5" RockKrawler coils. Only $30 each.

Long arms are so great, especially if you offroad alot.

at that height, id go longarm for sure. as for shocks, bilstein...

I lucked out. My brother in law still has brackets up the wazoo for his longarm kits that he builds, and so all I had to buy was four bushings, a heim, and 60 bucks in steel for LCA's. Total cost for me ends up being about $100, woo! Once I get that on I get to start playing with bump stops and shocks to really dial it in.

Last edited:
I'd go long arm before I spent the money brackets will cost you; however, I think there are better solutions for a lift that give much better articulation than long arm, with minimal binding. I think 3-link front is probably the best bet.

BUBBA, you say you'd go long arm but your description says you are running a 6" short arm. Are you gettin loose with my money? I also wondered about rusty's adjustable arms with no brackets. The drop brackets were kinda last resort. Anybody got around 6" with adjustables with anything good to say about these?

Just running adjustable arms wont do anything for your ride. I have drop brackets and 5"ish of lift. It works good, rides good and I haven't had any problems hanging them up on things. You dont have to have adjustable arms with them either, sure it helps, but not necessary. Hell I still run stock uppers and some aftermarket lowers that came with my first 3" kit. Works well.

I run a 6.5 inch rc coil and a 2.5 inch skyjacker spacer with adjustable control arms and have no problems just make sure you control arms are cranked to the max for the 9 inches of lift i have.

9" on short arms....Awesome!

Yea, it's easy to spend other peoples money. The truth be known, my Jeep, like most others is a "work in progress" with many iterations over a number of years. When I started this project, I wasn't aware of 3-links, or radius arm set-ups for Cherokees, so I jacked the Jeep 3", but found I wasn't happy. So, I went to 5". Rancho springs plus Tomken spacer, and longer control arms. Ride was horrible, and droop was limited by arms contacting shock mounts on the axle. However, performance off road was acceptable, in most cases. Next, I read advertisement about somebody's "double sooper extreme" lift that used a sub-frame that relocated the control arms; I thought that was cool, so I built my own. Anyway, the short-arm with drop brackets is better than without; but the standard binding associated with 4-links is still there. Not sure long arms is any better regarding binding, but with two less arms, who knows? But it does reduce the control arm angles, and that's good. The theory behind the three-link appears sound to me, so I'd go that route my next "iteration", including long arms.

Back