• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

problems in my new(to me) xj

Mopar It

NAXJA Forum User
just picked up an 89 xj last night, 5 speed straight 6. love it. except for the issues it has. First of all i had a lot of blinker problems just didn't work changed the big silver fuse deal and now they do. so that's good. but my front jeep brand fog lights don't turn on when the dash mounted toggle switch is activated by me. don't get an indication don't get light out of them or anything. uhm anybody know where to get the rear hatch support shocks cheaper then 50$ from my parts store? also front doors don't stay open in what 2 positions they should? it can ope nall the way freely but won't stick, and i know they should stick a time inbetween closed and open also my 2 front doors don't do that. thanks in advance

the fog lights for the front - if it's stock wiring, and their switch is in the "on" position, they will turn on with foglights or lowbeams, but not with highbeams. Mine wouldn't work and I found that the trigger wire from the headlights to the foglight relay was split.....those relays are infront of the airbox being the drivers side headlight.

Go to a junkyard for the rear hatch "shocks" if you want them for cheap.

Yeah i figured out one of my fog lights turns on the other doesn't. so i'll buy new ones but use the stock wiring. Shocks ill just pay full price tomorrow they seem worth it.

more issues:

power door locks don't even make an indication when i try them. are they on a fuse? im pretty sure the fuse has power if not ill replace it but if it's okay what can cause this problem?

and one more for the road...driver door lock is jammed, can't unlock it from there i have to do it from the passenger side. Where could i buy a new driver door lock and which set would include all 4 door locks and the rear hatch lock so it's all one key? if possible.

Thanks so much in advance for the help

dont spend the 50 at the dealer i swiped a used pair of my parts heep that is an 89 and they work better then the old ones. b carfull when taking then apart i had a hell of a time with the little balls that hold the shocks on because one was slightly broken and it was fully broken before i had the stupid thing off. nothing a little welding couldnt fix tho

okay how do you properly remove/install them then? their not dealership shocks their from a parts store around here. and i checked out that door lock thread fix thing. But i don't have any power to even my passenger side door lock so i don't think i can do that, any advice on it now? maybe my fuse is bad or maybe i need some new switch somewhere?

Mopar It said:
okay how do you properly remove/install them then? their not dealership shocks their from a parts store around here. and i checked out that door lock thread fix thing. But i don't have any power to even my passenger side door lock so i don't think i can do that, any advice on it now? maybe my fuse is bad or maybe i need some new switch somewhere?
There is a little wire clip that locks the hatch shock to the ball. Hard to see, look close. Notice how it comes apart, kind of a puzzle putting it back together if you don't.
The power windows and the door locks get there power through a circuit breaker in the fuse block, drivers side firewall near your left foot. The circuit breaker sometimes gets kicked and falls out. Pictures of the fuse box have been posted before, it should be in search.
I had a jammed (full of coka cola) lock button on one of my doors, none would work.
The connector on the back of the drivers switch group has been known to fall off.
I got a set of Crown hatch shocks, actually stronger than stock.

okay i'll check all my fuses again tomorrow.

i get a bad howl and whirling sound from my front end while driving at any speed, im guessing right front hub thats what it sounds like, 4x4 works great kinda hard to come out of it sometimes and my part-time light stays on.

whats that little orange arrow in my indicator panel that coems on sometimes? it's pointing up.

oh okay cool. and what do you spect' that whirling/howling noise coming from my right front may be? its at all speeds i hear it very clearly doesn't sound like a brake problem though it's more a rotating mass like loose kinda sound

Back