• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem with 88 xj power seats

jeepcherokee88

NAXJA Forum User
Like the title says I'am having a problem with the power seats in my 88 xj limited. I removed the seats awile back to redo the floor and just unplugged them and took um out they worked perfect now when i put them back in and plugged them both in the seats dont move at all and when i put a meter on the plug i have no power going to the seats with the key on. Any ideas? Do I have to have the car running for the seats to move? (I cant remember if i did or not) I read the aftermarket manual i bought on it because the original manual dident come with one and it told me absolutly nothing about the power seats I looked everywhere for a relay or a fuse. Can anyone tell me What the 4 relays under the hood are? I know one is the fuel pump and one is the power windows. Any tips would be appreciated.
Thank's

According to my Electrical Troubleshooting Manual for the 1988 Cherokee/Wagoneer the power seats draw power from a 30 amp. self-resetting circuit breaker mounted near the lower right corner of the fuse panel. It also provides power to door locks, keyless entry and the battery of a trailer if the Jeep has a Class III tow package. This 14 gauge red wire is not powered thru the ignition switch, as that would keep the door locks from operating with the key off. Check for battery voltage at the connection of the red wire to the breaker. (Do you have power door locks and do they work? If they do, the breaker is OK.) Check for continuity of the red wire from the breaker to the seat connector. Underhood relays are not related to this problem, but there is one fusible link that may be.

Back