• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flowmaster 50 series DF/2000 Cherokee

billkrat

NAXJA Forum User
I just ordered a Flowmaster 50 series Delta Flow for my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport (4.0L, I6, K&N air intake)... I wanted to increase HP, performance and sound, but am in an environment where anything too loud-- like a 40 series-- just will not work. In searching Flowmaster and other sites, I don't see recommendations for the 50 series Delta Flow for 2000 Cherokees.

Is a 50 series Delta Flow compatible with a 2000 Cherokee Sport?

Last edited:
I have one on my 98, and i like it. It's not too loud, but much more aggressive than stock. I saw a little bit of a performance change, but I also installed the intake at the same time so I don't know how much change the muffler itself will do. Anyways it's fun gettin the 4banger ricer's attention.

The biggest concern with ordering any Flowmaster for the Cherokee is the location of the inlet & outlet and proper diameter. I can tell you from experience, the Flowmaster is the best muffler I've ever used in my Jeep. It's a tough muffler- more than once I'd come down on a rock hard on it and it didn't get crushed. The only thing I didn't like was that I used the non noise cancelling style and it boomed inside the Cherokee as I had pulled out the old nasty carpeting. Without the tail pipe running all the way out the back, the booming was unlivable. It was cool when folks kept asking me how I got a V8 under the hood!

Thanks for the posts guys... great site, glad I found it. I made sure I measured the pipe and the inlet/outlet positions.

My concern comes from the fact that Flowmaster doesn't list late-model Cherokees in their catalog-- after 1998-- around which time the stock exhaust system was revamped. Made me wonder whether there was something in this combination that could hinder performance.

Last edited:
I bought the cat back kit from Rusty's with a Flowmaster 50 DF for my 2001. Works great!

You just have to cut off the old muffler right at the muffler where the 'cone' starts on the inlet side, saving the flange adapter with the cat, and use this to attach to your new muffler with clamps. Leave as much pipe as you can. I had to use a pipe expander a little to get the muffler to fit, but it was only $3 at HF.
I also used permatex muffler cement on all the connections.

Don't worry about it not being in the catalog. Just like the guys said all that matters is the size/location of the inlet and outlet. I've got the 50 series to and love it. Mellow sound when cruzin and sound throaty when putting the pedal to the metal.:firedevil

I had this put in this morning... sounds like stock on the outside, very quiet, but has the distinctive Flowmaster gurgle when you punch the gas. We'll see how it performs over time, but my initial reaction is this is a good XJ upgrade for anyone looking for a good exhaust without excessive resonance.

We also have the Rustys cat back kit from Rustys with a Flowmaster 50. It has worked great. We had Rustys cat back kit with a Flowmaster 40 and it was definitely louder then the the Flowmaster 50 we have now on our XJ.

Did you notice any change in the power with the 50? When I put a 40 on my 2000 I noticed a gain in performence right off, and that's running the stock tail pipe (however it is 2.25"). I have though of trying a 50 to take the edge off the volume, but I don't want to sacrafice any power.

scoobyxj said:
Did you notice any change in the power with the 50? When I put a 40 on my 2000 I noticed a gain in performence right off, and that's running the stock tail pipe (however it is 2.25"). I have though of trying a 50 to take the edge off the volume, but I don't want to sacrafice any power.

I am not a muffler "expert" so take this with a grain of salt, but flowmasters are open inside with only a few pieces of angled steel to cancel exhaust sound waves. I dont think a 50 series could possibly rob you of power. Infact the 50 series is what flowmaster recomends for the 4.0 anyways. If you want to decrease sound volume try the delta flow 50 series, it has great noise cancelation properties inside the cabin (says flowmaster i have never heard one but trust them as they market it as the distinction that makes it special to the regualr 50 series) but still sounds flowmaster'ish to the others on the street.

I have an orginal 50 series and i like it allot in conjunction with my borla header, new magnaflow cat, and 2 1/2 pipes. Sounds badass.

Last edited:
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but...., when you guys put the Flowmasters on your trucks (especially the guys with 98's), where you able to use a stock length tailpipe or did you have to use a longer or shorter one. Also, did you re-use the stock stainless pipe, get a factory replacement, or just get a plain steel or aluminumized steel replacement.

Thanks!

It all depends on the size of the casing. 40 series mufflers are short, like 18 inches overall length. The 50s are longer, at like 23 inches in total length. This probably has something to do with the fact that the 50s actually "muffle" a bit more than the 40s. i believe that the 50 series is the same length as a stock muffler, but someone else is going to have to confirm that... anyways, the 50 should fit up to the stock pipe. But, IMO you should just go with Rusty's kit because it comes with a larger stainless pipe for pretty damn cheap.

Just get the Rusty's kit with the FlowMaster 50. Bolts right on in the stock location. Nice smooth mandrel bends in the tail pipe. Sounds good. Does add a few HP.

i just helpped a buddy with a 99 put a 50 on his. it was about half an inch longer than his old muffler. i have the 50 aswell, they are built to take abuse and have a aggressive yet neighborhood friendly volume.

well, you have to get the 50 w/ 2.25 inlet/outlet with a centered inlet and offset outlet... I'm pretty sure they only have one size of that. As for making fit up to the existing tailpipe, it'll be some work, you might have to rent a tailpipe expander, but it can be done with those sizes.

I understand your going for the Flowmaster 50 Delta but I have had very good luck on my Explorer with a Flowmaster 50 SUV. I do not know much of the differences but I loved my Suv. I have a plain old 50 on the jeep and it sounds good and runs ok too

Back