• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Misfiring With a Knocking sound?

RShotl

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 Cherokee 4x4 4.0L with 118,000. So far, I have replaced the plugs, the distro cap, ignition rotor, and wires. Also, had a fuel injector that was dead-- replaced that.

Car still knocks, puts, misfires and hesitates. The knocks usually occur in drive when coming to a stop, or begin to accelerate at low RPMs. Very uniform sound the knocks have-- and they almost sound like a piston --- clickclickclickclick--- any ideas? Not sure how to Describe it better. Sounds like its coming from the lower part of the engine, closer to the cabin.

College classes start Tuesday, and I barely have any money and no way to get rides there-- really hoping to figure it out this weekend :(

goodburbon said:
no codes?

have you checked the usual suspects TPS, CPS? Oxy sensor?

The codes it's throwing are misfire all Cylinders

How can I check these parts without replacing them? I have already spent a bunch on parts I didn't need, and I am broke. :(

Do these parts cause a knocking sound as well as the misfires when they go bad?

Back