• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine 4.0 - injector leaks

pszczepan

NAXJA Forum User
Hi !

I noticed that 3 of my injectors leak. The gas does not come from o-ring between injector and gas rail, but it goes out somewhere in the middle of injector - there is connection between plastic part nad metal.

Can I buy any reapair kit for it or injectors are solid and I must replace injector.

Thanks
Pawel

I'd stop driving it b/c the exhaust is below the leaking injectors. Might cause a firey end to your jeep.

You could get some from the junkyard, or pull some orange (I think) injectors from a 5.0 Mustang, or something like that.

Try searching injectors, theres tons of stuff on here about everything.

Like he said, replace the injectors. You didn't list what year though. I would guess an 87-90 Renix. These are notoriuos for leaking. I might have some, but they have sat a few years. I noticed your in IN. If your close, you can have them. One of them leaks. The others were OK. The one that leaks was from another motor, because one of its injectors leaked. You can look at E-Bay for 5.0 injectors. I think 5-O Motorsports is one of the trusted dealers.
Tom

Need to get a Haynes....or a Chilton manual....I have a Haynes and there is a step by step on the injector/o ring R n R....

That seal kit will seal the fuel rail to the injector, and the injector to the intake. Unfortunately, if the body of the injectors themselves are leaking, they will need to be replaced.

I used a set 19lb ford injectors from a 5.0 and they work great..

You want the Yellow/Orange ones they are 19lb. If I remember correctly you have to change the plug connector if you are using Design III. May want to ask seller or 5-90, Langer, Old Man, Matthew Currie etc. in here. I'm sure someone in here knows.

If you do a search here for variations on "leaking fuel injectors," you're going to see a lot of the advice you've gotten here.

You'll also note that this is a known problem with 1987-1990 Jeep w/4.0, and also note that the ONLY fix is replacing the injectors - all six (if one is leaking, the rest aren't far behind...)

FiveOMotorsports (I think that's who they are,) sells replacement sets for the Jeep 4.0 - they're Ford 302 "pulls" (pulled for upgrade) that won't have the leaking problem that you're having now.

The RENIX injector leaks are caused simply by the plastic/metal junction on the body - and the fact that it's crimped. Since there isn't any real sealant there, engine vibrations are going to loosen that join slightly, and there's no easy way to fix it. Later units on the 4.0, as well as SBFord and SBChevvy units, are all assembled and ultrasonically welded together, so the leak isn't a problem.

If you have a choice, go with the "four-hole" SBFord injectors, since they give more efficient fuel atomisation and therefore will increase economy and power (both slightlly.)

And, the Bosch-style fuel injector (which is what we've got in RENIX, what ChryCo used until 1995 or 1996, and what Chevvy and Ford used for the longest) use a standard connector. However, if you have to replace the connector, you should be able to find them locally in a parts house that carries the Motormite/HELP! brand.

When looking for replacement injectors, 19#/hour are stock replacements, but the RENIX system will adjust for injectors rated slightly higher - 20# or 21#. DO NOT go smaller, or you're going to get an uncorrected "lean burn" condition, which can eventually cause parts damage...

Sorry if I sound a bit cranky here, but it's a combination of taking a break from changing my throwout bearing (again! Damn internal slave cylinder...) and the fact that this topic has not only been done to death by me personally, but by a number of others here as well - and all of us with about the same level of detail (explaining the hows & whys, &c.) I just happen to have no particular shortage of donor parts to tear to bits for failure analysis and comparison... Why do you think I'm always collecting them?

5-90

Back