• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Help

cw50must

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '98 XJ, but replaced the front D30 figuring it was easier than replacing the gears. Well the one I bought was supposed to be out of a '96. I went to do the brakes this weekend and can't find pads that fit.

The old one had the regular pads, held in by the metal tabs on the back which seems to be the same for 96 or 98. This new axle has slightly smaller pads, that are completely smooth on the back and are held in by some seperate clips/springs on each end.

The guy at the parts store was nice enough to search the computer for various year cherokee/wrangler/grand cherokee brake pads. We found a few different ones but nothing that matched what I now have.

I plan on hitting up a different chain this weekend, but would like to know what model/year to ask for. Has anyone else ran across these pads?

cw50must said:
I have a '98 XJ, but replaced the front D30 figuring it was easier than replacing the gears. Well the one I bought was supposed to be out of a '96. I went to do the brakes this weekend and can't find pads that fit.

The old one had the regular pads, held in by the metal tabs on the back which seems to be the same for 96 or 98. This new axle has slightly smaller pads, that are completely smooth on the back and are held in by some seperate clips/springs on each end.

The guy at the parts store was nice enough to search the computer for various year cherokee/wrangler/grand cherokee brake pads. We found a few different ones but nothing that matched what I now have.

I plan on hitting up a different chain this weekend, but would like to know what model/year to ask for. Has anyone else ran across these pads?

that's very odd. My 95 has the same kind of pads as the later ones, I think: the pads have a rectangular notch in each end, which engages the rail that is built into the knuckle. The Caliper then swings down over the pads.

The smooth ones with clips sound a little like the ones that were on my 87. A difference there was that the knuckle had a separable caliper mount. I'm not sure just when that changed, but the 89 still had it. Does your new axle still have the one-piece knuckles, or detachable caliper mounts? If they are detachable, I think you'll find you have one a good bit older than 96. Assuming there's no vacuum disconnect on it, you might try looking at pads for a selec-trac 88 or thereabouts.

Matthew Currie said:
Does your new axle still have the one-piece knuckles, or detachable caliper mounts? If they are detachable, I think you'll find you have one a good bit older than 96. Assuming there's no vacuum disconnect on it, you might try looking at pads for a selec-trac 88 or thereabouts.

I believe its the detatchable caliper mounts. I know that 2 hex bolts held on the caliper and 2 more bolts held on the other part. If I remember correctly my 98 only hace the 2 caliper bolts and nothing more. There is no vacuum disconnect, I'll try what you mentioned, sounds like that just might work. Thanks

Back