• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Regear Question

jstggs

NAXJA Forum User
Did some searching but did not find much.

I have a 1990 XJ, 4.0 AX-15 so I have 3.0something gears and I want to go 3.73's or 4.10's. Looking to go 35's and this will be a daily driven rig.

My question is this, can I do the gear swap using basic tools? I know both axle shafts have to be pulled as well as the carrier and from what I understand the worst part of the job is the ring gear which I was told I needed an air hammer to do, which I have.

So will my stock carrier for the D30 & D35 support 3.73's or 4.10's? Also would the stock D44 carrier w/3.55's support 3.73's or 4.10's? Assuming yes on the 3.73's.

I was also told to check backlash, don't the install kits correct/fix/eliminate this problem?

Thanks for the help in advance guys.

I'd go with 4.56 or 4.88 with 35's, I have 4.56 with 35's and an auto trans and wish that I was a little lower but that will have to wait until I upgrade axles again.

So what can I expect RPM wise at highway speeds? I'm currently seeing 1900 @ 65MPH on 31's. Not sure if the tach(aftermarket but wired up like the OEM unit) is calibrated right. Idle is 400/500 RPM's.

4.10's and 35's will put your RPM's waay too low. You want to be between 2500 and 3000 rpm's at highway speed, or your going to stress your motor and lose gas mileage (i know that sounds wierd, but the motor works too hard at lower rpm's).

If your engine is good and strong, you can get away with 4.56, but you really want 4.88 or deeper to wheel 35's on the trail.

-C

jstggs said:
My question is this, can I do the gear swap using basic tools? I know both axle shafts have to be pulled as well as the carrier and from what I understand the worst part of the job is the ring gear which I was told I needed an air hammer to do, which I have.
You also need:dial indicator,micrometer or caliper,inch/pound torque wrench,bearing puller, and a press.Some set-up bearings are well worth it also!

jstggs said:
I was also told to check backlash, don't the install kits correct/fix/eliminate this problem?

Thanks for the help in advance guys.

maybe doing a gear install for the first time isn't such a good idea on a rig thats gonna be Your Daily Driver and on the rear(drive) axle at that..
pay around 300-500bux to have it done right (then if you wanna give the install a try on your front axle i'd say go for it, then see how that works out..

Zoro said:
IIRC isn't backlash corrected by tightening/adjusting the 4 bolts that hold the carrier in on each side?

*subscribes to thread*

JLane99XJ said:
maybe doing a gear install for the first time isn't such a good idea on a rig thats gonna be Your Daily Driver and on the rear(drive) axle at that..
pay around 300-500bux to have it done right (then if you wanna give the install a try on your front axle i'd say go for it, then see how that works out..

I agree, you should have some knoweldge of what you are doing or you will be throwing your money away. You must properly set depth, backlash and pre-load.:doh:

JLane99XJ said:

I'm going to disagree here. Much less dangerous to have the rear axle detonate and lock up at 70 mph than the front. If the rear goes he can at least attempt to steer, if the front goes, he's got nothing but bad coming his way.

If your asking these questions, you probably don't want to be doing your own gears yet. It's one of the more important things to get right on your jeep, and is soemwhat tedius as well as detailed to get right. It's the *ONLY* thing I pay someone else to do for me.

JLane99XJ said:

My buddy of mine's father will be doing the gears, I was just trying to get a rough idea of all what's involved in the install process.

Back