• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear spring mounting question

BoostedHULK

NAXJA Forum User
So, here's my story:
I bought an 89 XJ for 400 dollars with some cooling system issues, some wiring issues, and no registration to speak of...but, it was intended to be a project from the beginning, a project on a budget. So, right now i have my springs, but have yet to decide exactly how i was my setup to work. For the front i have 8" Tuff Country springs from Creasey off-road. I have 4.5" rear leaves, Rubicon Express 1462. So, i was looking at the way the rear of the stock rear leaves tuck up into a bucket. I wanted to move my springs inside the frame rails anyways, and i was wondering when making the spring hangers on the inside of the "frame-rail", can i move the rear hanger down level with the bottom of the frame-rail? By moving the rear one down, could i turn the springs around to compensate for this angle change?
thanks,
Neil

Moving the springs inboard will decrease the stability and adversly effect handling. It will also decrease clearance, right now a rock or rut can scrape along the bottom of the frame till it hits a tire, if the springs are under the frame then you'll hang up on the front spring hanger. Turning the leaf spring around will put the weaker part of the spring in front to control axle wrap, so there will be increased axle wrap which decreases performance and the springs will wear out much faster.

So, to answer your questions.......no, no and no.

So, what about moving the rear hanger down on the outside of the frame? That would rock my axle some, which i need to do anyways. I'd prefer not to have to cut the pads off my housing if i don't have to. What do you think of that idea. Basically, i'm not using blocks if i can get away from it, and i don't want shackles any longer than they absolutely need to be for my setup. Now that i think about it, that would make my rear springs way too soft, because those fronts will have to be pretty stiff to hold that much height. Thanks for the reply.

Some folks have plated across the bottom of the rear shackle box and mounted the shackle below it, which has worked out well. That shackle box can fatigue over time and crack so it's a good idea to beef it up from the beginning anyway.

Back