• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gurgling sound after car turned off

ram360cid

NAXJA Forum User
I am hearing some type of 'gurgling' sound when I turn my XJ off. It seems to be coming from around the fuel tank area. I have sat in the car after I turned it off and listened to it for about a minute or so before I get bored. I don't know how long it continues after I get out of the car. Not sure what it is. Everything is fine with the car, it is running great (I am getting ~22 mpg right now).

Specs:
4.0L
5 speed
~125k miles

Any ideas on what the 'gurgling' sound could be?

I sometimes hear this in my 98 as well. I'm assuming its not something wrong since all is still well. But I'm curious what exactly causes it?

KarlVP said:
Fuel return line draining fuel back into the tank?

I have the same thing on my 98, and since we only have a fuel sending line, doubtful about draining back. It almost sounds like a slushing as in fuel moving around the tank.

i have heard it too. the first time i heard it i was like wtf. but i think it is fuel sloshing around in the tank from driving and coming to a stop and parking.

Back