• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2" inch BB:shackles,AAL,blocks for rear?

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
ok,bare with a newbie to jeep lifts here. I have decided to go with a 2" budget boost for my 92 xj with 30x9.5 tires. I am pretty much set on going with spacers for the front,but am confused about my options for the rear. What are the advantages/disadvantages of AAL,blocks and shackels for the rear? which is easier to install? how bout ride quality,although it isn't a major factor.

Some would tell you to search.

Skip the blocks; although they're probably the cheapest lift but will also induce spring wrap pretty quickly. That's a bad thing...

Shackles need to be 4" over stock length to add 2" lift to the rear. At that length, they are pretty wobbly and can bend. That's also a bad thing...

You have two options with an AAL - half-length or full-length. Half-length are cheapest, but they can put a lot of pressure in the middle of the spring. AALs will probably be one of the rougher rides as well though because they increase the springrate. Don't count on an AAL bringing the Jeep up to 2" over stock if it's well-worn though...

Which of the above options is easiest to install? Probably blocks. Which is recommended if you aren't going to go with a full-replacement leafpack? AAL.

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/jeeplift.html

I am always curious about shackles....I know that in offroad racing mostly everyone uses like 12" shackles with deavers springs...If the shackles can hold up to racing then why would they bend on a little 2" lift???

I'm going to take a wild guess that the shackles you're referring to are well-gussetted and heavy. We don't get that option in the XJ world - somewhere around NAXJA there's a nice pic of a folded uber-long shackle.

good point

xbajajeepx,I don't consider the $250 price tag on that lift to be in the range of my idea of a budget boost,but it looks like a nice lift kit

My bad, kind of missed the budget boost idea...I have been looking at a 2" lift and was going for a budget boost but, then saw this and decided this would work perfectly....

CJ

I am somewhat in the same boat. I believe I will go with shackles because I don't do any serious off roading. Mine will just be a hunting/work vehicle. And you can get around two inches all day long on ebay for under 100 dollars.

Full length add a leafs feel comfortable. I wouldn't say the ride is rough. You get a rougher ride with short add a leaf's.

Go to Rusty's Offroad and order the 3" pack (or is it 3.5"?).....that way you will know you'll have your 2 inch lift even if your stock pack is worn. And then if it comes out way over 2", go back into the spring pack and remove the smallest leaf on the bottom of the pack.

Granted the rearend will need time to settle, so if it isn't much over a 2" lift, leave it be and it will settle down over a short period of time.

Rusty's comes with 2 spring clamps, one for each side. I ordered a second set though (cheap, anyway) because I felt more comfortable with 2 clamps on each spring pack - one on each end.

Back