• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homebrew budget boost vs Rustys 3" AAL

platinum5.9

NAXJA Forum User
I have been doing alot of searching lately. I a currently stuck between the Homebrew budget boost and the rustys 3" aal. I really like the cheap price of the Rustys and the fact that it is using full coils in the front and also comes w/ shocks. I am just concerned about the fact people are talking about it riding ruff. Now the Homebrew budget boost uses mostly OEM parts and claims to ride equal too or better than stock. Thats a big plus to me.... Now I have not added up the cost on all the parts but I am quessing it it be around the same price if not a little bit more.

Rustys 3" aal ($245 plus shipping)
-2 3" Rustys front coils
-Full length rear aal
-rear brake line extensions
-4 Rustys hydraulic shocks

Homebrew Budget Boost 2"-3"
-2 Zj front v8 coil springs
-2 Xj/Zj Extra Stock isolator
-2 Zj front shocks
-2 Yj front brakelines
-2 Xj stock rear leaf packs (used for aal)
-2 center pins
-2 u-bolts sets
-2 Yj rear brakelines
-2 Mj rear shocks

All will be going on a 99 Xj and will be a second dd and a once in a while trail rig. No real rocks basically just trails. Any input would be really great. Thanks in advance...

How many leafs will you be adding to your existing packs?

If you get the 5.9 V8 coils, you'll get 2" without adding extra isolators.

You'd get close to 2" with the UpCountry ZJ V8 coils.

I'd run S10 packs wit the stock XJ packs to get at 3".

Rusty's comes with shocks, but the shocks aren't exactly cutting edge best of class units here. You could go out and get some SensaTracs for about the same cost and slightly better ride.

Home brew it!

I was going to try to find a set of up country springs. If not I would go w/ the 5.9 springs. I was also thinking of the sensatracs. I was it to ride as close to stock as it can. Thats one of the only reasons I was unsure of of the Rustys. Do I need to get new brakelines front and rear?

I would go homebrew, but I'm a little biased.:D You only need one YJ rear brakeline, and for the front, if on a budget and since you don't sound to be on the trails much and probably not even disconnecting the front swaybar, then I would suggest straightening the front brake hardlines so they run parallel with the shock, then you wouldn't need the YJ lines right away. You will want some bar pin eliminators for the MJ rear shocks. They don't have bar pins in the top bushing, so you will need something, and pressing in stock bar pins sucks.

There is a lot of guessing out there on ZJ coils. I've seen people say you could get as much as 3" lift so they heard. There are ten different sets of ZJ coils that came factory on the ZJ. I have done enough homebrews and gotten reports from enough people who have used my article to know chances are even if you get factory V8 coils, you might be lucky to get 5/8" lift. Keep in mind a ZJ in the junk yard will have mileage and gravity working against it. When digging through the junk yard for ZJ coils, there are two part numbers you should look for on the tags; GN 5208 8363 and GP 8208 9141. The 9141 is the upcountry model, but the 8363 has shown to give nearly as much lift. Don't expect even 2" lift from those two coils out of a wrecker, maybe 1.5" at the most, but you might get lucky depending on year and mileage. If buying brand new from the dealership, several of my customers have reported a full 2" out of the UpCountry coils.

As mentioned, the gas charged shocks (sensatracs or similar) will cost just a slight bit more than a hydro shock like Rusty's, and they will ride much better. I'm not biased against Rusty's hydros, because I think all hydros suck. Be sure to use two leafs from each of the donor XJ packs. I even have one customer using the top three of the stock four leafs from the stock packs and reports a firm but very comfortable ride giving 3.5" lift. He is running 33" Interco Trxus under this setup.

Hope that helps you on your way.

Gottabejeep awesome reply......I might just go w/ the new zj coils. How much do I exspect to spend? My plan is to get a detailed list of everything before doing it. I am trying my best to do this on a budget!

I have no idea on price. Only suggestion would be call the stealership tomorrow, and ask for a price on that 9141 part number I listed. Compare that price to the OME 2" coil, Rusty's 2" coil, and the Rock Lizard 2" coil and see what is better for your budget.

Go to a junkyard, you will pay way less than at the stealership providing the junkyard has what you need. but its well worth the trip.

balloo93 said:
You'd get close to 2" with the UpCountry ZJ V8 coils.

I'd run S10 packs wit the stock XJ packs to get at 3".

Rusty's comes with shocks, but the shocks aren't exactly cutting edge best of class units here. You could go out and get some SensaTracs for about the same cost and slightly better ride.

Home brew it!

s10 coils for front lift on a xj?? funny, i have a crappy s-10 and a stock xj...
do you need 4wd or 2wd s-10 springs? how much lift?

thx

rcnerd said:
s10 coils for front lift on a xj?? funny, i have a crappy s-10 and a stock xj...
do you need 4wd or 2wd s-10 springs? how much lift?

thx
Leaf springs.
Bastard packs= A mix and match leaf pack consisting of s10 and XJ leafs.

Balloo is suggesting ZJ V8 coils for the front and bastard packs in the rear.

See HERE for a good thread on bastard packs.

HTH

Hale

I believe ZJ 5.2 V8 UpCountry = ZJ 5.9 V8 Stock. This should give you two options at the wrecking yard if the part number tags are missing.

Mine came out of a '96 ZJ Limited 5.9 V8 with almost 100,000 miles. I got a full 2" of lift and paid $60 for them.

By throwing 2 extra stock leafs into your existing packs and a short poly spacer on top of the ZJ coils you would be right close to 3" front & back.

5.9 coils are different than up country coils. And they never put a 5.9 in any year but 98 and there were only so many made! Up country should give you .75"-1" over stock v8 coils.

I just finished my HBB on my '00 XJ DD.
top two leaves from a stock XJ pack: 2.5" ($100 from the wrecker)
ZJ 5.2 coils: .75" ($60 wrecker)
1.5" Poly spacer: 1.5" ;-) ($9.50 for material)
Front ZJ Sensa-trac shocks: on sale $55.00/each
Rear Comanche Sensa-trac shocks: on sale $48.00/each

$400 Canadian and I fixed a few parts that have been giving me problems for awhile. I'll have to see how it rides in the long run, but I'm very happy with the ride and the look for now.

platinum5.9 said:
5.9 coils are different than up country coils. And they never put a 5.9 in any year but 98 and there were only so many made! Up country should give you .75"-1" over stock v8 coils.

Hmmm, must've got the year wrong on mine. Sorry about that.

The wrecked ZJ I got my coils out of still had the "5.9" badge and data still attached as that is what I was looking for. It is my understanding that "UpCountry" was not an option for the 5.9 V8, yet claims are that the springs from the "UC" 5.2 V8 and the stock 5.9 V8 give the same amount of lift (2" in the 4.0 XJ) Just try and read the tags on wrecked ZJs, if you can find them, or try to determine if the 5.2 V8 you're looking at has UC coils (without running the VIN#). With all of the different part#s and codes, and differing from right to left, you're definitely running some risk yard shopping.

That's why I decided to keep it simple and look for the 5.9 coils. I must've got lucky because I found them in only the second yard I looked in.

platinum5.9 said:
How much lift did they 5.9 coils give you?

And the answer is...

Crawler said:
I got a full 2" of lift and paid $60 for them.

The yard wanted $80, I countered with $50, we settled on the $60 (cash).

I'm not exactly sure, but I think I remember the stealership wanting about $80 per coil, or IOW $160 for the set... (yikes!)

Last edited:
SnowZone said:
I just finished my HBB on my '00 XJ DD.
top two leaves from a stock XJ pack: 2.5" ($100 from the wrecker)
ZJ 5.2 coils: .75" ($60 wrecker)
1.5" Poly spacer: 1.5" ;-) ($9.50 for material)
Front ZJ Sensa-trac shocks: on sale $55.00/each
Rear Comanche Sensa-trac shocks: on sale $48.00/each

$400 Canadian and I fixed a few parts that have been giving me problems for awhile. I'll have to see how it rides in the long run, but I'm very happy with the ride and the look for now.

Is there any vibes in the rear driveline?

Back