• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blue smoke... Is the end near??

jcwxj

NAXJA Forum User
My 86 xj has a 137000 on it. It has the 2.8 v6. It has started burning oil. My question is is this always a sign of engine death? Could it be something in the top end or is it always caused by bad piston rings? Any light shed on this would be helpful.

Yep its circleing the drain LOL j/k most likely valve seals.

Just put it out by the curb, and maybe they'll take it! You might have to wait for 'spring clean up' for large items. Or possibly put a 'For Sale' sign on it, and park it in front of the 'the largest electrical contractor on East Maple Street', and one of the hard core Jeepers that work there would want it! Just a thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had the 2.8 and got rid of it. I am suggesting you do the same. If the body is in great shape, keep it and fix it up.

Also, a 3.4L V6 from a Camaro will fit. But my suggestion is buy a new one from here: Scoggin Dickey

I have this with a heavy duty rebuilt TF909 tranny and NP207 and run all over the Colorado trails with out a problem.

PM me for more.

jcwxj said:
My 86 xj has a 137000 on it. It has the 2.8 v6. It has started burning oil. My question is is this always a sign of engine death? Could it be something in the top end or is it always caused by bad piston rings? Any light shed on this would be helpful.

The commonest causes of high oil consumption (apart from leaks) are worn valve stem oil seals and worn piston rings. You can determine which one of the two (unless you have both) that you have by doing the following:

1. Compression check on all cylinders. First do the check with each cylinder dry. Then squirt some oil into each one and recheck the compression. If the "dry" numbers are low and the "wet" numbers are significantly higher, the piston rings are worn. Worn rings usually result in blue smoke from the exhaust when the engine's under load.
2. If the compression numbers are OK, here's a second test. With the engine idling, rev it up and then snap the throttle shut. Snapping the throttle shut creates a high vacuum in the intake manifold and in the cylinders. If the valve stem oil seals or valve guides are worn, oil will be sucked past these from the crankcase into the cylinders under high vacuum conditions (no load).

Dr. Dyno said:
2. If the compression numbers are OK, here's a second test. With the engine idling, rev it up and then snap the throttle shut. Snapping the throttle shut creates a high vacuum in the intake manifold and in the cylinders. If the valve stem oil seals or valve guides are worn, oil will be sucked past these from the crankcase into the cylinders under high vacuum conditions (no load).

Without tearing apart the engine, how can you tell if this is the cause?

Back