• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case fluid

Dexron II/III (early) or ATF +3/+4 (late) - and you probably can use whichever is easier for you to get, since there aren't any clutches in there.

The AW4 gets stupid with ATF +3 or +4, and wants Dexron IIE/III, but that's due to the clutches in the case.

5-90

5-90 said:
Dexron II/III (early) or ATF +3/+4 (late) - and you probably can use whichever is easier for you to get, since there aren't any clutches in there.

The AW4 gets stupid with ATF +3 or +4, and wants Dexron IIE/III, but that's due to the clutches in the case.

5-90

i just put atf+4 from mopar in my aw4 and its fine.

5-90 said:
since there aren't any clutches in there.
5-90

I think your right. A lot of ATF properties don't matter much. I think all we are looking for is a high quality, high detergent 10 wt oil, kind of like................. transmission fluid?

I've used this stuff for 15 years or so in all flavors of transfer cases requireing ATF.
http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TC&Product_Code=950601&Category_Code=ATF

There are probably some real good $$synthetics$$ that would be better.

Last edited:
5-90 said:
Give it time...

Pillage around here and see what's happened when people run either ATF +3/+4 or synthetic in the AW4...

5-90

You are correct, I tried Mobil1 ATF in an older XJ and shifting started acting up.
What about AMSOIL? Their ATF is supposed to meet all the criteria for DIII and ATF+4.

falcon556 said:
You are correct, I tried Mobil1 ATF in an older XJ and shifting started acting up.
What about AMSOIL? Their ATF is supposed to meet all the criteria for DIII and ATF+4.

Dunno - haven't tried it.

However, bear in mind that most of the AW4's difficulty with synthetic fluids is that they reduce friction too much - and clutches depend upon friction to work (wet or dry.) Therefore, anything that increases lubricity or decreases friction beyond the specs of Dexron IIE/Dexron III will probably cause clutch chatter or shifting problems.

Given the fact that the AW4 is a pretty solid slushbox to begin with, I honestly don't see any need to improve upon that (shifing mods I'd consider - but durability is already pretty damn good.) I'd use BrettM's "manumatic" shifter or get a valve body from Level Ten long before I'd switch fluids - if it ain't broke, there's no need for me to fix it...

Save the synthetics for where they're useful - axles, transfer case, engines, and manual gearboxes (just remember that the AX-15 doesn't like GL-5 gear oil, due to the added sulphur being antagonistic to the bronze synchroniser rings...)

5-90

falcon556 said:

I call BS if AMSOIL is claiming they are compatible with ATF4+ and DexIII as they have difference friction specs. Chrysler has put out a number of TSB warning the dealers not to use ATF4+ in the AW4.

AMSOIL might be great stuff, but I refuse to buy from them because of their pyramid mechandising scheme and the fact that I've had AMSOIL reps lie out their wazoo to try and sell me their product.

rubiconrescue said:
i have a 231. i replaced driveshaft and lost fluid. what do i put back in it? regular ATF with no additves?

Okay, so how did we all get off on what fluid to use in a AW4 when he asked specifically about a 231 transfer case? How about we stick to that first.

I know when I was trying to search for the correct fluid for my 231, since I was installing a SYE, I kept finding that people were answering the requested post with regards to the TRANSMISSION and completely failing to address the actual post that asked about the TRANSFER CASE. Two very different items.

Staying on topic helps people find info when they do a search. If the info can be found easily because the correct info is posted, less people might actually ask the same questions over and over. My .02 worth, having tried to find stuff using the search. YMMV

5-90 said:
However, bear in mind that most of the AW4's difficulty with synthetic fluids is that they reduce friction too much - and clutches depend upon friction to work (wet or dry.) Therefore, anything that increases lubricity or decreases friction beyond the specs of Dexron IIE/Dexron III will probably cause clutch chatter or shifting problems.

A few people have run synth with no problem (silverxj from ju, iirc), but far more reports of unexpected behavior. However, I think the major concern is not poor shifting (which can be fixed simply by switching back to dex), but that the AW4 has a (planetary?) gear that relies on oil viscosity to provide clearance in addition to lubricating. Use a more slippery oil, and the gear will bottom out and chew a chunk out of the surrounding material.

Someone did a teardown a couple years ago and found this out, posted pics and an explanation. Thinking it was Beezil, but not 100%.

xj_mike said:
Okay, so how did we all get off on what fluid to use in a AW4 when he asked specifically about a 231 transfer case? How about we stick to that first.

Kinda simple, members get involved in this because they think it is fun.
The original question already had a few usuable answers, nobody will stop anybody from posting on topic and the off topic posts will keep the thread on top where it can get more attention.
It keeps the original poster satisfied and the rest interested to participate.
Isn't that great?

xj_mike said:

I know when I was trying to search for the correct fluid for my 231, since I was installing a SYE, I kept finding that people were answering the requested post with regards to the TRANSMISSION and completely failing to address the actual post that asked about the TRANSFER CASE. Two very different items.

Staying on topic helps people find info when they do a search. If the info can be found easily because the correct info is posted, less people might actually ask the same questions over and over. My .02 worth, having tried to find stuff using the search. YMMV

I did - see post #5.

It's just worthwhile to hammer this home again - because people assume (sometimes incorrectly) that the AW4 and NP231/242 take the same fluid - they don't always.

The AW4 always wants Dexron II/IIE/III, while the early NP231/242 was spec'd for Dexron, and the later ones for +3/+4. They can be used interchangeably in the NP231/NP242, but not in the AW4!

Yes, they are different items. Most people don't seem to think so, which is why I find it necessary to make the point over and over again... I answered his question first - then made the point I was trying to make...

5-90

rubiconrescue said:
i have a 231. i replaced driveshaft and lost fluid. what do i put back in it? regular ATF with no additves?

What's your manual say? I think mine says Dextron/Mercon but I can't be sure since it's in the Jeep. :) I'm pretty sure I used regular ATF in the xfer case, but the AW4 takes Mercon. This is all in the owners manual.

Back