• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Walker run 12-09

adamusmc2002

NAXJA Forum User
Jeremy, Eli, Matt, Ryan and I made a run to Walker Saturday. Had to chop/destroy quite a few fallen trees, but other than that, it was a blast. Here's some pics I'll start with Matts :)

IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

IMG_2079.jpg

IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

As Adam said, a few of us went up to Walker Valley at the invitation of Ryan (blkxjkkrawler) to scout out some trails. I had never been there, but had heard conflicting reports as to the trail's difficulty. From some, I was led to believe it was like a glorified Tahuya, with it's emphasis mainly on bikes and ATVs. From others I'd heard it was way cooler than Naches.

I'm here to tell it is nothing like Tahuya. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Myself, Adam, (adamusmc2002) and Eli (CanMan) all met in Federal Way and headed North to meet up with Ryan and Jeremy (Megawatt) in Arlington. After a couple pit stops we made our way to the trails.

100_0257.jpg

My first glimpse of Walker was not promising; a parking lot so full of dirt bikes and full-zize pickups that we had to find a wide spot in the road to air-down and disco. Tahuya 2, I thought. :rolleyes:

100_0258.jpg

I was glad to be quickly proven wrong! About 10 feet into the trail I had to switch out of 2Low in to 4WD. The trail was wet and sloppy with LOTS of roots and rocks for tires to slip on. It reminded me a lot of the 520 trail at Evans Creek; very tight quarters, mostly up hill and beautiful scenery.

100_0259.jpg

100_0260.jpg

Here's Jeremy in the woods with his latest bumper mod:

100_0263.jpg

Adam looking like a goofy bastard:

100_0264.jpg

Dark, gloomy and fun!

100_0265.jpg

100_0267.jpg

100_0272.jpg

There were a series of switchbacks that made me appreciate my 2Low kit, and frustrate Jeremy with his turning-radius impaired D44 front axle:

100_0273.jpg

100_0274.jpg

The first 'real' obstacle was a rock face similar to the one at Reiter on Isabelle:

100_0281.jpg

It turned out to have more bark than bite and we all made it up with little or no issues.

100_0282.jpg

-----Matt-----

Wow, that rock face is really covered up from not being used. :) That thing used to have a ton of moss on it and was ALWAYS wet. :D:D:D

Haven't heard from anyone yet whether all the old trails are still there... Used to be tons of fun on 30s way back in the day. :)

Glad to see you all had fun.

Cool acid trip group shot:

100_0295.jpg

100_0298.jpg

100_0299.jpg

Eli giving it a shot:

100_0302.jpg

Jeremy trying and alternate, and ultimately unsuccessful line. Note only one front tire spinning:

100_0306.jpg

100_0307.jpg

Adam, as usual, making it look easy:

100_0310.jpg

The challenge that ended up taking us the most time were not rocks or mud, but fallen trees:

100_0288.jpg

We probably cut and moved 8 trees that were blocking the trail. Ryan's alacrity at rapid repetitive hand movements made him an especially valuable asset. It helped clear the trees, too.

Fallen Trees of out Fathers:

100_0316.jpg

There were a handful of tippy spots:

100_0318.jpg

100_0321.jpg

100_0325.jpg

100_0327.jpg

A mud bog I tried to gp through. After a little body damage, I decided to pass. The mud had the consistency of wet concrete. Ewwww....

100_0330.jpg

-----Matt-----

One interesting aspect of the Top Hat rack; it tends to collect low hanging branches and take them with you:

100_0333.jpg

Ryan navigating the logs:

100_0339.jpg

100_0341.jpg

Some in-cab footage from Ryan:

100_0352.jpg

it should be noted that all these fine photographs were taken by Ryan. Big thanks again for organizing the run, and for those who found the pics interesting, stay tuned for a spring mud run that Ryan is putting together.

-----Matt-----

Great pics guys! Had a great time up there. I'll post a few photo's when I get home tonight.

Why did I put a limited slip in the front? Not very helpfull on wet rocks. I guess I need to start looking for a locker!

IXNAYXJ said:
Ryan's alacrity at rapid repetitive hand movements made him an especially valuable asset. It helped clear the trees, too.

Wait a minute here, I thought that was staying between us :D

Maybe next time I'll just bring a chainsaw instead of the axes, then you'll get no show at all.

Thanks again for coming up( and Down, Jeremy). I had a great day. As Matt mentioned everyone stay tuned for info regarding a spring mud run. It's guaranteed to be a good time.

CanMan said:
Wow, there is actually a pic of me. :D

You where the only one to uphold the NWC one finger salute.

Sorry I didn't make it Ryan.

Looks like you guys had a great time and found some good trails. It looks like the upper stuff is open now. The last couple of times I have been up there all of the upper trails were closed. I would like to get back there now that there is much more open.

Great pic's.
Michael

2xtreme said:
I would like to get back there now that there is much more open.
Michael

You name the day Michael, I'll be happy to go. I am probably going to be making a few more runs up there over the next few months. I just want to get the trails down before I attempt to lead a larger group through. I'll keep you posted
Ryan

Sounds great. But this time of year I am most likely to spend my time doing SNOW run's!! Not saying it wont happen, but just a little less likely than most other times of the year.

On the other hand, I would be more than happy to support you any way that I can to help put together a more formal run up there for spring time if that is what you are looking at doing. If you need a second Jeep, let me know and I will make the time to go up there with you to help out.

Michael

Back