• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'97 XJ - Noisy AC Clutch???

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
The noise sounds like bearing noise to me. It is coming from the accessory drive hardware.

My first thought was that the noise was coming from one of the two idlers in the accessory drive system. However, after listening to all the rotating components on the passeneger side of the engine (AC clutch, bi-metal fan idler and alternator) I now think it is the AC clutch that is making the noise.

What does this mean? Can it be lubricated or does it need to be replaced? Last I knew exercising AC systems on a monthly basis during winter lubricated the clutch. If this is still true what part of my AC clutch is making this noice?

Thanks,

Rick

check to be sure that it's getting the proper voltage.
The clutch is a big electromagnet that puls the clutch pads together.
If it's not getting enough voltage or current the clutch will slip or chatter.
Check all the grounds and clean all the connections.

Need more input! Is it making noise when the A/C is off? With the A/C on is the clutch rapidly cycling engaged/disingaged? Is only making noise when the clutch is engadged? Is the belt squealing when it engadges?

If it is chatering like 87manche mentions it could also be too large an air gap and may need a simple gap adjustment.

Mike McGinness
South Houston, TX

87manche & Ecomike,

The noise occurs with the clutch engaged and w/o the clutch engaged. I performed a more visual inspection and noticed the clutch is skewed relative to the pulley. That is, the clutch is not parallel to the pulley and in one location the clutch was in contact with the pulley. This could be the origin of the noise I've been hearing for a few days. I would expect the clucth to be concentrically located relative to the pulley. Am I wrong?

As of me posting this message it does not appear the clutch will engage at all. So I think I'm getting closer to identifying my problem.

Does this suggest something is wrong with the compressor or the pulley assembly? It appears the clutch assembly can be removed from the compressor rather easily (according to my FSM). The difficulty with repairing the clutch assembly appears to be limited by our ability to purchase individual clutch components. The aftermarket parts stores I've contacted so far indicate they can only sell me a compressor.

Even Arizona Mobile Air (Home of www.ackits.com) does not appear to sell clutch components on their website.

Thanks,

Rick

Somebody sells just the clutch because I bought one in Houston back in 2001 for a 1996 Jeep. Call and ask for Dale or Melvin at parts at 1-800-798-5601.

Mike McGinness
South Houston, TX

Back