• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheapest place to get high clearnace shock mounts?

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
No not building any or doing any real work.

I know of the JKS, but $50 is kinda steep. Anyone know somewhere cheaper? Or have some home made ones forsale? I hope stock length shocks will work on shock mounts behind the axle tube.

can you clarify what exactly your looking to buy?

what do you meen behind the axel tube? do you want them in stock location just up higher like on the axel center line? or are you looking to mount them somewhere else?

dzraces said:
can you clarify what exactly your looking to buy?

what do you meen behind the axel tube? do you want them in stock location just up higher like on the axel center line? or are you looking to mount them somewhere else?

stock area, just behind the axle centerline out of the way.

I know you said you don't want to do any work, but you're gonna be doing work anyways taking the stock ones off and putting the new ones on. Why not just take another hour and reuse the stock mount? Just cut it up to your liking. If you're not doing ANY of the work, ie, having a shop do it, the whatever, but this is the cheapest way to go IMHO.

I too am not sure what you mean by not doing any real work.... But I used some JKS shock mounts on my 8.25 and they were a nice fit and did take some grinding and welding work. I thought they were nice for the money. Check out go-jeep.com he's the Aussie that does a bunch of neat things to his XJ. He has a good article on modifying the stock shock mounts, by cutting & rewelding them. Will take more work though.
Tony

53guy said:
I know you said you don't want to do any work, but you're gonna be doing work anyways taking the stock ones off and putting the new ones on. Why not just take another hour and reuse the stock mount? Just cut it up to your liking. If you're not doing ANY of the work, ie, having a shop do it, the whatever, but this is the cheapest way to go IMHO.

Yeah, well I don't have it in me to harly drive my Jeep most days as for any fab work (I have cancer and the chemo puts a hurting on you) I plan to have a friend do everything while I ma in the hosptial after Christmas.

Have him get a piece of angle iron, drill a hole in it, weld bolt in it and done. Takes no time. Behold my master paint skills.

shockdu8.png

Buying pre-made mounts is good when your stock mounts are so F'd up that you can't get the shock off and trying to re-use the mount would be pointless.

That was the case with me and I did a lot of looking around. I did find one suitable product other than JKS that was pretty cheap. These mounts from http://home.foothilloffroad.com/products.jsp are only $14 each.
FO207.gif

The thing I wouldn't like about them is the stud is welded to the mount. So once its installed, if you ever need to replace the stud, you are basically SOL. JKS mounts allow you to replace the stud. Ultimately I went with JKS am happy even if it did cost me a few more dollars.

Here's mine:
shockmount.jpg

I made mine on my MJ using 2X4" square tubing. I cut it in half, but stagered the cuts so I got two finished pieces from one piece of scrap. Kinda like the above drawing, only mounts a bit away from the axle. This gave me room to mount a removable sutd, in case I damage it.

Lowershockmount-trimmedbolts.jpg

Lowershockmountandskidplate.jpg

Juanwelding.jpg

But thereis also a nice mounting method, using the factory XJ mounts. Cut and moved up and rewelded. at http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/

CW

not to jab fingers, but what's the point of high clearance shocks with u-bolts hanging low?

53guy said:
not to jab fingers, but what's the point of high clearance shocks with u-bolts hanging low?
Unless your running a spring under your U-bolts shouldnt be hangin low. youll have the rounded side down and as tight to the axel as possible so the point is to make the shock mounts not hang lower and in those pics he has a mj with spring under so mounting the shocks up higer just makes two less places to hang on

dzraces said:
Unless your running a spring under your U-bolts shouldnt be hangin low. youll have the rounded side down and as tight to the axel as possible so the point is to make the shock mounts not hang lower and in those pics he has a mj with spring under so mounting the shocks up higer just makes two less places to hang on

apparently you didn't read above my post. the guy did a high clearance shock mount on an MJ with a spring under. So.....yeah, read above........I do know what it's for, but I'm wondering what the point would be on that application.

As previously stated...

You can reuse your old shock mounts with some creative cutting...

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

Thanks guys, probably reuse the stockers. little cutting and grinding should work.

Back