• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high pitched chirping noise while driving

tupton

NAXJA Forum User
OK,

My 01 auto has been making a high pitched chirping noise while driving for about a month or so now and it's beginning to bug me. It worries me because it almost sounds as if something is loose or needs a shot of WD-40. As far as driving, it feels and reacts just fine. It onlt makes this noise while driving above 10-15 mph, and gets worse the faster you go. It is not the serpentine belt, just had that replaced. Any ideas what I should look at? I have a 3" lift running 31's, but everything else is still stock. Thanks.:wave:

Sometimes the serpentine belt needs to be tightened after it's replaced. To temporarily alleviate the problem till you get it to the shop is stuff called Belt Dressing. Isn't the best, but makes the noise go away for short periods of time.

It could also be a front axle shaft -or drive shaft- u-joint... One dry cap will often complain, but is difficult to observe/feel any looseness, since the other three caps can hold everything tight.

Another clue from a badly dry u-joint cap is a rust-colored powder around the inside of the suspect cap/joint...that powder would be (what is left of) the needle bearings BTW... Bad, very bad. :nono:

Is the chirp/squeak variable? In other words, when you say it gets "worse" above 10-15, does it get faster?

Like at 10mph it's slowly going "squeek-------squeek-------squeek"

And at 60mph it's more "squeek,squeek,squeek,squeek,squeek,squeek,squeek"

Or does it just get louder, but stay at the same speed.

I noticed yesterday that whenever I engaged 4-hi, the noise stopped. After disengaging back to 2wd it took a little while for the noise to continue, but it eventually came back. I would rather not have to replace a U-joint if I don't have to. Suggestions?

I got the same thing going on in my 92. Ive been spraying and greasing when the noise reappears but that is just a bandaid. I would change all the joints in the front driveshaft since it has to be out to fix the cardan joint. While your under there you might as well check the rest of the ujoints and replace any that seem suspect.

also check where the harmonic balancer sits next to the timing chain cover. if the balancer gets out of whack, it could slowly eat into the timing chain cover, and the metal on metal sound could be a chirp that increased in frequency as speed increased.

I replaced all 3 front driveshaft u joints and the centering yoke inside the double-cardan. After about a year, they're chirping again. Only when its cold though. Doesnt make the noise after it all warms up.

I wouldn't worry about it. Everything that I replaced the first time was good, and dealing with the double cardan is a major headache.

Just gave everything a good coat of grease and the noise has disappeared. I am still going to check everything this weekend to make sure there is no damage, but if everything looks OK I'll leave them alone. I like mud, and I figure that has caused some of my problems.

Back