• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lockin a 8.25

mucovich

NAXJA Member # 1540
I was wondering if anyone can tell me good locker options for the corporate 8.25?
I'm looking to throw one in mine and am just wondering what the consensus is out there, is a posi a good bet or selectable? I know there is alot of options for the danas, but I haven't heard too much about the 8.25.
any opinions?

to tell you honestly I don't know other than it's on a 97 with stock 3.55 gears but I have heard some good things about both.

I have had good luck with my Powertrax locker. Do a google. You have a 29 spline.

I had a powertrax in my 29 spline 8.25, and it treated me very well. Definatly recommend it for the money.

Don't waste your money on TruTrac stuff or any limited slip for that matter if you plan to wheel your jeep. Its just not worth is, if you want it locked, lock it.

I am running a PowerTrax No-Slip and really like it. Great road manners and always locked up on the trail. It's quite, etc. (just use some really thick gear oil).

I dont like Detroit b/c of an issue my friend had and they have HORRIBLE customer service!

If you have the cash go ARB or OX or similar.... But for a fraction of the cost a LockRight or No-slip are just as good... IMO

uncc civilengineer said:
I dont like Detroit b/c of an issue my friend had and they have HORRIBLE customer service!

What>????? I broke my D30 Detroit JUMPING my Jeep. It shattered itself into a million tiny little pieces because I drove it home with a bent housing. Trachtech told me to send them the million little pieces. I did and they warrantied it for me. No questions asked. Mind you, the abuse I gave to it was outside the clause of the warranty, they knew about it, and they still warranited it.

Aside from it taking a month to get my answer from them, they rule.

I would love to hear your story in great detail.

IH8RDS said:
I have a powertrax no-slip. I'm pleased with it. On and off road
x elevenity

KarlVP said:
What>????? I broke my D30 Detroit JUMPING my Jeep. It shattered itself into a million tiny little pieces because I drove it home with a bent housing. Trachtech told me to send them the million little pieces. I did and they warrantied it for me. No questions asked. Mind you, the abuse I gave to it was outside the clause of the warranty, they knew about it, and they still warranited it.

Aside from it taking a month to get my answer from them, they rule.

I would love to hear your story in great detail.

Karl, Tractech no longer owns the detroit line... I believe they were bought out by Eaton.. They also told us to send the locker back and they would look it over and get back to us in 6-months. SO, we decided that's not the way to go and looked into ordering parts to fix it... Parts total came out to be in the 250.00 range. SO, he bought a new carrier and a lockright.

The Detroit exploded on the "Ledge" on the Peckerwood connector at Tellico. He's running 33's and 4.88's. It shouldnt have happened, he wasnt beating it.

BUT, if you look around you will see lots of people breaking Detroits on the D30 b/c once you spin the cap or break a u-joint its usually a goner. As for the rear, he's still running the detroit but looking into selling it and getting another lockright or spool.

In the 8.25 you can put in any basic lunchbox style locker that just requires the removal of your spider gears from your carrier.. If you decide to go full case then you will probably want to get a shop to do it unless you have a bearing press, etc.

Again, a limited slip is just about worthless. Its not going to make any difference in the rear if you go full locker all the time. The front is a different story though.

Not Regearing? If you are gonna run 31's or bigger, I would definelty do the gears and get a detroit. I've had one with 35's for a couple years, no problems.

Don't know much about a lunchbox, but I guess they're great if you don't need gears.

I'm working on getting rid of my detroits in favor of lockers that don't break when you break a shaft. :)

Back