• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backspacing ?

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking into upgrading my 3" and 31's w/ stock wheels to a 5" and 33's. My question is, i dont want to do too much trimming, and if possible would like to keep the stock flares (i dont mind cutting them but i dont want to remove them). My goal is to keep the tires from sticking out too far so anyone w/ actual experience in backspacing a 15x8" what is the closest i can go w/out rubbing? I searched some guys got away w/ 4.25 but i heard 4.75 would be alright as well, is that b/s? (what is stock 5.25?) Thanks for any info.

I've got 33's on stock rims.

BFG A/T KO's in 33x9.5/R15

I had to special order them because they were'nt in stock anywhere local, but TireRack dot com sent them right to the local installer of my choice. - no problem.

I have no trimming and stock flares. I started out with 3 inches of lift and they fit fine.... as long as I was on pavement. I had to go to 4.5 inches of lift in order to use it offroad. I still don't have all the flex I want, but instead of going higher, I think I'll just do some moderate trimming.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the trail ride I took with only 3 inches of lift ( I tried it, but learned I needed more lift), 33x9.5's on OEM jeep 10-spoke rims:

IMG_2744.JPG

As you can see, they don't have much room, but do tuck into the stock fenders.
I have less than 1/8 inch between the tires and the LCA's at full steering lock, but there IS Daylight between them and FULL lock, so it's tight but it doesn't rub.

Last edited:
my bad, i'm going w/ a 33x12.50 so i'm assuming stock would not work in that case, thanks for the reply though. Anyone else know about this?

You should be fine at 4.5" of backspacing. You might rub your lca at full lock turn, but thats not really a problem, just sorta an annoying sound when your making a u-turn.

-C

I keep searching for pics of certain backspacing but the ones i come up w/ either dont have pics if they list their backspacing, or they dont list their backspacing if they have pics lol....anyone have pics of 4.25 and 4.5? Or any others. Thanks!

Here you go.

32x11.5 R15 on a 15x8 wheel with 4.5" backspacing, about 5 inches of lift.

85%20lost%20driver.jpg

315/75/16 (35x~11.8") on 16x8 wheels with 4.5" backspacing, 6.5" lift. You'll note my rear flares are missing, when they are on the tire sticks out about a quarter of an inch or so.

027.jpg

Hmm, this may sound dumb, but do they even make rock crawlers or cragar soft 8's w/ 4.5" backspacing? I can only find 4, and 4.75.

Not sure anymore, I havent bought cheap wheels in ages - but I would run 4" of backspacing without a second thought. Your only talking a half inch further out there, and it helps when turning to not rub.

-C

US Wheel Daytonas are about the same thing. I've run them on my S-10s with excellent results. I don't have my XJ yet (picking it up tomorrow) and will buy the US Wheels once I decide on a SL and install it.
usw-84-5712.jpg

BTW, BFG states that 7 and 8 inch wide rims are compatible with their 33/10.50s and 9.50s

Double post. Sorry

Last edited:
Back