• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear defroster wire disconnected - resolder or what?

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
One of the rear window defroster wires disconnected from the plate on the rear window. Should I just resolder the wire to this plate, or what? I have film window tint and wouldn't want to hurt it. What do you suggest?

95 XJ.

Blaine B. said:
One of the rear window defroster wires disconnected from the plate on the rear window. Should I just resolder the wire to this plate, or what? I have film window tint and wouldn't want to hurt it. What do you suggest?

95 XJ.
I wouldn't.
Applying heat to tempered glass, will surely shatter it! Even a small amount of heat!
Unfortunatly, there aren't many other options...perhaps an electrically conductive adhesive?
Ed
web/gadget guru

Searched 3 stores for the adhesive. Two didn't have it. Third was out of stock. The third place also called their second location and they were out too.

What to do?

How about soldering another small metal square onto the end of the wire, epoxy that little square down to the window, and they use the conductive paint meant for fixing borken defroster traces to bridge this into the existing traces?

Good idea about soldering a metal square onto the wire. Still, need some adhesive. I'll hit up Radio Shack today. No Frys local, though.

Someone was telling me to use JB Weld. Anybody know if this conducts electricity? I have some but never knew it could conduct, if that's true.

Back