• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231/TeraLow crapped out...HELP!

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
While driving to work in the TJ yesterday morning (snowy), the t-case felt like it popped out of 4WD a few times. I was able to shift it back in, then while turning a corner it popped out of gear completely. The case acted like it was in neutral, no matter where the shifter was. The shifter was NOT free-floating like when the shifter rod breaks. I could feel the indents in the mode selector, but every position was neutral. Also, when I put the tranny into "park", it ground a little until I shut the engine off, indicating that the input gear was still spinning.
Last night I got under the Jeep to have a look. With the driveshafts removed, I could move the rear output of the t-case with the tranny in park. Every gear seemed to be correct however EXCEPT neutral in the t-case. 4Low, 2Low, 2HI, all worked correctly, other than acting like the t-case and tranny were not connected. The rear output moved pretty freely in all positions. I pulled the case to see what happened. The tranny shaft moves in neutral and doesn't move in park, so far so good. BUT, the transfer case NOW seems to be working correctly except it no longer HAS a neutral. WTF? I can't move the rear output without moving the input gear IN ANY POSITION. So now the t-case has 2LO, 4LO, 2HI, 4HI, and 2HI again. It HAD a neutral position between 4LO and 4HI, but no more. I thought maybe I lost the c-clip on the input gear, but the gear is in place and solid.
I'm going to yank it apart Saturday sometime, but does anyone have an idea what this could be? I'm seriously stumped so far. I'm trying to picture what this could be.
TIA!

Hmmm....When you find out on sunday, be sure to let those of us know that are also running TeraLow in our 231

This is a dumb question, but were you running in 2wd or 4wd when this happened. If it was in 4wd, was it in 4hi?

Nevermind I answered my own question. So was it in HI or LO?

I was in 4HI, but it felt like it was not in 4HI all the way. My 4WD light was not on, so I was trying to find the right position. The front didn't feel like it was pulling, either.

Found the issue!

The shift fork for the Tera 2Low kit broke. The tab that goes into the mode selector for the shifter snapped off.:mad:
gears011.jpg

gears012.jpg

So...I've already ordered an Atlas for the Jeep.:party: I could weld this back together and drive the Jeep for a few weeks, or I could leave it in the garage and have Tera send me a new shift fork, then sell it when it gets here.

Back