• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Narrowing front HP44, shafts and bolt pattern questions

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i made a thread recently about a waggy 44 front swap. but am toying with some other ideas. one of which is this

i got to thinking about narrowing an HP44 out of something, im not sure out of what would be ideal, im not positive that broncos ever came with HP44s, i know they did LP though. Ford trucks i know of, but not sure on any of the WMS-WMS measurements for any or what would be best to start with, though i am aware they are all full width

also, im not entirely sure how to go about narrowing, ive heard of cutting all off 1 side, or a small bit off both sides, not sure which is the logical way to go. Also, what shafts would i want to shoot for using? Could i in theory narrow the HP44 to fit shafts out of a bronco (if i were to use a ford f-series axle to begin with) and then run a 5x4.5 bolt pattern (ideally)?

lots of questions, but id appreciate all the help i can get. Its really down to the fact i want to retain my 5x4.5 pattern and attain a HP axle and not keep the dana 30. It will be running 35s.

Did you read the FAQ on this very topic?

HeavyMetal said:
well, i guess i just suck then

thanks

Digest that long ass D-44 tech post, and I can answer any outstanding questions. Needless to say, a 5 on 4.5" D-44 is possible, but negates some of the benefits of the 44.

HeavyMetal said:
Ok so i made a thread recently about a waggy 44 front swap. but am toying with some other ideas. one of which is this

i got to thinking about narrowing an HP44 out of something, im not sure out of what would be ideal, im not positive that broncos ever came with HP44s, i know they did LP though. Ford trucks i know of, but not sure on any of the WMS-WMS measurements for any or what would be best to start with, though i am aware they are all full width

also, im not entirely sure how to go about narrowing, ive heard of cutting all off 1 side, or a small bit off both sides, not sure which is the logical way to go. Also, what shafts would i want to shoot for using? Could i in theory narrow the HP44 to fit shafts out of a bronco (if i were to use a ford f-series axle to begin with) and then run a 5x4.5 bolt pattern (ideally)?

lots of questions, but id appreciate all the help i can get. Its really down to the fact i want to retain my 5x4.5 pattern and attain a HP axle and not keep the dana 30. It will be running 35s.

If you are going to continue to run 1.25" or 2" spacers or whatever you are using right now... then they do have 5x5.5 to 5x4.5 conversion spacers... for your precious ravines.

:twak:

BOX said:
If you are going to continue to run 1.25" or 2" spacers or whatever you are using right now... then they do have 5x5.5 to 5x4.5 conversion spacers... for your precious ravines.

:twak:

Nice name, BOX, hahahah

now go get rid of your MTV tires

HeavyMetal said:
Nice name, BOX, hahahah

now go get rid of your MTV tires

I tried to make it SHlTBOX, but they wouldn't let me. Yea... MTV has me owned until I buy new tires... which will be 36 x 12.5 Bias Tsls when I get the chance... which won't be for quite a while.

ok so i just had some time to go through the dana 44 thread at work, hope i didnt overlook anything before i get into it

im thinking i could run a front hp44 out of a ford with some sort of 5x5.5 - 5x4.5 wheel adapter, and run stock jeep OEM wheels on it (5.5 BS because its a 15x8 TJ wheel)to keep it manageable width. but i think even with that, a 67" wms-wms axle is too wide for my DD use. is there an HP44 available that is under 67? saayyy 65 or something similar? i apologize if ive overlooked anything again though.

and one other thing, im pretty confident in my understanding, but i could really use some assurance in determining how my backspacing would work with a 5.5 backspaced 8" wide rim on a ~65" axle would measure with a 35x12.5 on it. enough numbers? haha

Back