• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing the track bar...

gnarwall

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to install the new adjustable track bar I got. I did like the directions said, I removed the old one along with the frame mount. But I can't separate it off the mount! I've tried everything. Hammer. Bigger hammer. Vice. Press. Heat. Sawzall. Crying. Is there something I'm missing?

86 2.5L Manual. Installing Rusty's adjustable track bar.

Hmmm, you sure you got the nut off?

If you have the mount off, try a pickle fork fork while tapping on the top of the ball joint (with the nut on so you don't frag the stud too much).

X2 the pickle fork idea, all the front end steering parts are bugars to get off at one time or another. go to your local NAPA, or mechanics store and get yourself a pickle fork set. If you wrench you'll end up using it often.

On a side not, while you have that Rusty's adj track bar out do yourself a favour,
1) return it for your money back
2) determine the length you need it at, find some hallow round stock so you can sleeve the bolt for strength.
There are a few stories on here of Rusty's tracbar holding up to punishment, but more of the ooposite. My adjustable bolt broke at the trac bar, I had to weld a nut onto what was left to get it out... ended up stripping the threads inside the sleeve. Rusty sent a new adjustable bolt (3weeks later) I tapped the bugared threads, put the new one in and sleeved it like I said above... its holding up good now, no thanks to Rusty.

Sorry to ramble on, just don't want you to have catastrophic failure on the road, or trail for that matter.

I used a deep socket with a washer over the nut and backed out the nut w/a wrench popped itself apart. A lot easier with mount removed lucky you.

gnarwall said:
I'm trying to install the new adjustable track bar I got. I did like the directions said, I removed the old one along with the frame mount. But I can't separate it off the mount! I've tried everything. Hammer. Bigger hammer. Vice. Press. Heat. Sawzall. Crying. Is there something I'm missing?

86 2.5L Manual. Installing Rusty's adjustable track bar.

Note put the mount/bracket back on your xj. and also attach it back to the axle. take a brass hammer/ or a brass rod and knock the hell out of it. I had to go through my engine compartment to get a straight hit at it. It really wasn't that bad! Just wait till you put a drop pitman arm on it and have to remove the old one. LMAO, goodluck

Auto Zone will loan you a pickle fork for as long as you need it. They require a $10 deposit and ID. You get the $10 back when you return the tool. Inslalling my new track bar tomorrow. Used the borrowed fork to knock the old bar off today, with the bracket still on the Jeep. Turn the wheels hard left and you have access between the tire and front portion of the fender.

beakie said:
On a side not, while you have that Rusty's adj track bar out do yourself a favour,
1) return it for your money back
2) determine the length you need it at, find some hallow round stock so you can sleeve the bolt for strength.
There are a few stories on here of Rusty's tracbar holding up to punishment, but more of the ooposite. My adjustable bolt broke at the trac bar, I had to weld a nut onto what was left to get it out... ended up stripping the threads inside the sleeve. Rusty sent a new adjustable bolt (3weeks later) I tapped the bugared threads, put the new one in and sleeved it like I said above... its holding up good now, no thanks to Rusty.

Sorry to ramble on, just don't want you to have catastrophic failure on the road, or trail for that matter.

x2 mine broke last week. i was on a really tough trail though. pulling in to the parking lot at school going over a huge speed bump must have been 8 ft tall. i was insanely flexed on the speed bump and i almost rolled. there must have been thousands of pounds of pressure on the track bar b/c it just took a poo.

do urself and the general driving public a favor and return it.

Back