• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

roof rack question

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of building a roof rack wanted to know how high is to high mine is at 10 inches from roof to the top. how high are pre fabed racks??

Most are around 10" above the roof. When FarmBoy Designs was around, you could get that rack and it was at 5" above. My version of that rack was under 2" off the top. Low is good.

Scrappy said:
Most are around 10" above the roof. When FarmBoy Designs was around, you could get that rack and it was at 5" above. My version of that rack was under 2" off the top. Low is good.

i think he meant it differently than you interptred it. I think he is measuring from roof to upper most surface of the rack, NOT the space between the top of the roof and the bottom most surface of the rack.

I dont have a rack so 10" doesnt sound odd. Got any pics of it?

motorcityxj said:
i think he meant it differently than you interptred it. I think he is measuring from roof to upper most surface of the rack, NOT the space between the top of the roof and the bottom most surface of the rack.

I dont have a rack so 10" doesnt sound odd. Got any pics of it?
No that is exactly what I interpreted it as. To the highest part of the rack.

My old Surco rack was about 11" or so from the roof to the highest part. My FBD was under 2".

pics... hmmm let me see

this rack is at least 12" to the top.
gobijeepc-1151295586-4109.jpg

FBD low pro rack
vnotch0tb.jpg

this is what ive got so far

rack4.jpg

rack3.jpg

Looks good. YOu should add at least one brace to the side tubes to prevent you bending the top tube and getting really Pissed when you toss a spare up there.

Look at how I did mine. NOt saying mine is better just offering up an observation.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o37/quacked1/jeep/

Also, if you are going to run lights, instead of liberal roof drilling as I did, buy yourself a snorkel kit and rtun the wires up behind the snorkel. Then you will not stain your headliner.

Brad

yeah Im gonna add a least 2 vertical supports to each side. How many peices should I use for the deck?

I just made a rectangle as I built mine to use 1/4 diamond plate. This is so my daughter and I can put our folding chairs on the roof and watch the races.

I also worried about losing stuff with a tubular bottom.

Brad

i thought about using a solid deck, but was concerned about the parachute affect being even worse. maybe I'll use some grating or just use the same material as I did for the sides, not really worried about losing anything up there, if its small enough to fall out I'll just keep it inside. How did it affect you gas mileage
?

homebrew said:
i thought about using a solid deck, but was concerned about the parachute affect being even worse. maybe I'll use some grating or just use the same material as I did for the sides, not really worried about losing anything up there, if its small enough to fall out I'll just keep it inside. How did it affect you gas mileage
?

Expect to drop a mile or two per gallon above 65 or 70, otherwise my stand pretty close stock mileage.

Your rack looks good so far!

Back