• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding oops...

xj-grin

NAXJA Member #1096
So while welding some RE joints to my radius arms (frame end), I neglected to fully cover the inner threads on the joint sleeve, and lo and behold, I got a weld booger on the threads. I have tried tapping it out with a chisel, and workinig it in the thread with a small screw driver, but no luck getting it out, and I can't thread in the nut with it in there... any suggestions other than getting a new sleeve?

TIA:helpme:

I_1BADXJ_I said:
Can't get your hands on a tap n die set?

Robert

I don't have an 1 3/4 - 2 inch tap lying around....

xj-grin said:
I don't have an 1 3/4 - 2 inch tap lying around....

Duh, sorry. I'm spoiled, the stuff we've got at work is all HUGE...

If it's male threads, the wire wheel is a good idea, or a thread file. 1/2" square, 12" long, each side has differently spaced teeth to match various thread pitches.

But I thought you were talking female threads. in which case a 2" tap would probably cost more than a new sleeve...

Sorry.

Robert

I_1BADXJ_I said:
Duh, sorry. I'm spoiled, the stuff we've got at work is all HUGE...

If it's male threads, the wire wheel is a good idea, or a thread file. 1/2" square, 12" long, each side has differently spaced teeth to match various thread pitches.

But I thought you were talking female threads. in which case a 2" tap would probably cost more than a new sleeve...

Sorry.

Robert

Yeah, wish I had a tool chest that extensive -- it is female we are looking at, but I will give the heat/wire brush a try and see what I can do...

thanks for the replies

tealcherokee said:
we ended up making a plug, for next time get a threaded plug made to keep the threads clean

in hindsight, that is what I should have done, I have one -- but was afraid of welding the cap to the sleeve. That would have been alot easier to remedy...:bawl:

Just grind it off. If you're carefull you'll only be losing about 2% of the thread surface.

kid4lyf said:
Just grind it off. If you're carefull you'll only be losing about 2% of the thread surface.

Actually, that is kindof what I did. I really gently went after it with a dremel cutoff wheel, and redefined the threads... it was sticky, but it worked. Thanks for all the replies.

Back