• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Superior 35 Kit vs Stock Chrysler 8 1/4

Depends on the 8.25...but I think the nod would go witn the super 35....

If you have the 27spline 8.25, its only a bit stronger than your 35 and thats only really because of the case. The 8.25 w/29splines is pretty close to the D44 in stregnth and thats what the super 35 will be with the upgraded alloy axles and 30 splines.

Trouble is the cost...you are still polishing a turd with the D35. You would likely regear either, so that gearing cost is a wash. I would go for the 29 spline 8.25 and take my chances if given the choice.

CW

I wouldn't spend 1 penny on a 35. I see quite a few XJ 44's advertised on this board. Search one out. I'm not too familiar w/ the 8 & 1/4, but I heard they are not a bad way to go if you upgrade to 29 spline axles. Basically anything will be better than the Dana 35.

Rob $.02

I had a super 35 kit in my YJ and a welded truss. This axle never gave me any issues the year and a half plus I ran it, and I bought it second hand. I ran it with 33s, and an auto. Hit a dozen or so CO trails and most of the Moab 3.5-4+ rated trails with it.

I just got a 2000 XJ with the 29 spline 8.25 and the housing seems MUCH bigger than the d35. With the stock shafts in the 8.25 I'd say it's a tossup between the two axles, with the edge in the gears going to the 8.25, the edge in the housing going to the 8.25, and the shafts going to the super 35. I think that with a set of aftermarket alloy shafts in the 8.25 the 8.25 becomes the clear winner - and cheaper. my two cents :D

cwlongshot said:
Depends on the 8.25...but I think the nod would go witn the super 35....
CW

No way, 29 spline 8.25 > d35 whatever. The housing and tubes themselves on the 8.25 are much stronger than the turdyfive.

Back