• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loud ac compressor

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
i've already done my searching....

i understand that these sanden ac compressors (2001 xj) are a little loud to begin with by i've got a feeling that the bearing on mine is on its way out...it's pretty loud now

i've noticed that when i flip on the ac, many times it'll make this whippling supercharger noise for like 5 seconds (use your imagination lol) and i know that isn't right

i also noticed the other day that i could hear the compressor cycling while doing 65 down the hwy with the stereo at medium volume

i know i need a recharge, it cycles too many times within a minute (regarding the fsm).........but whats the deal? should i go ahead and replace the clutch and bearing? they're cheap enough

perhaps after searching i dont need a new clutch, just the bearing.......

there any tests i can do to see if the clutch is still good?

I have been through 3 brand new AC compressors in the last month from TUNEX. They can't figure it out. The compressor makes works well for about a week or two and then it makes a clicking noise and starts to go, one of the three seized.......

All I know in your situation is that you don't want it to seize!

My TUNEX shop gave up and are sending me to an A/C instructor to see if he can figure it out.

What a pain!

ewander said:
I have been through 3 brand new AC compressors in the last month from TUNEX. They can't figure it out. The compressor makes works well for about a week or two and then it makes a clicking noise and starts to go, one of the three seized.......

All I know in your situation is that you don't want it to seize!

My TUNEX shop gave up and are sending me to an A/C instructor to see if he can figure it out.

What a pain!

Improper freon charge or oil used?

My 96's compressor has been extremly loud since....97. But it keeps me cool on the few occasions that we need it here in the mountains! I'm running it untill its dead, I wan't to see how long it lasts like that.

Back