• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE hack and tap

azxjman

NAXJA Forum User
I was installing my RE hack and tap sye and the splines on the output shaft didnt match the splines on the flange I was just wondering if this has ever happend to anyone.

Yes. It happened to me too. I thought I had the wrong part, but with the help of this forum from RHP Phx, I learned that the shaft must be champhered. Just gring the edges of the shaft slightly, and take a small file and clean up the grooves. It will go on easily with the aid of a rubber hammer.

I am pretty sure there are more splines they dont match up at all I was looking at them and the splines are smaller and there are more of them

Well RE only has one hub available for "all years" of the XJ.Since yours is a 92 it should fit.Also try heating the hub in the oven to about 200*,that should help with the fit-up!

I tried grinding it, lubing it and heating it...nothing made it any easier. In the end I made sure it was lined up well and came right on to it with the mallet. Probably harder than I should of but that SOB would not take any other way. No problems so far but it's only been about a thousand miles.

Just a little warning about beating it on like that becarefull you don't snap the snap ring. If you do that it gets messy. trust me it just the same as bottoming out the drive shaft in the case.

BFH = "3-pound Ford carburetor adjusting tool " where I come from.

:lecture:
I always thought BFH was a Beemer Fixing Hammer (DIE YUPPIE SCUM!!)

Had the same problem with my hack-n-tap, took a small stone to take the edge off the inside of each valley. After that, it just slipped on. Dunno what tool you used, I used a 4 1/2" grinder with a cut-off wheel. Just left the motor running, trans in reverse. Marked the cut with a piece of masking tape and let the Mark-One eyeball do it's thing.

25K later and it still works well.

Back