• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt driven OBA with Dual Batteries and AC

LynchMob

NAXJA Forum User
'99XJ I6 AW4 NP231 AC

Searched using above terms but not finding what I need.

I have dual batteries (stock and airbox locations) and stock AC. I have a Sanden compressor out of my '90 XJ that I would love to put to use for OBA. Is there any way to get this belted up under my '99XJ?

I've heard it cannot be done. If so tell me about your electric compressor set ups...not the cheap or ugly low psi ones (I've got one and hate it), but trick hardwired, compact ones.

Thanks!
D.

I have found a way to remount the stock battery upto the firewall on the passenger side above the heater motor. You would have to use a gell cell as the battery would need to be mounted at a 45* angle. Also a bit of "massaging" of the wheel well would be required. This is on an '89 XJ that has been converted to an open cooling system and the pressure bottle removed. Not sure if it would work on a '99 or not.

Don't foget, you have plenty of room in the rear of the vehicle for two Odyessy batteries in a battery box, thus giving you room for OBA and AC (which I have on my '99). Just fab up custom battery cables and you are good to go.

onetallmj said:
I saw a post on here where someone had dual A/C compressors and a slim( Odyssey?) battery in the original location. He even used the same belt, I think.

I tried searching also, but must not be using the right key words or something?

Edit: found it - http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40675&highlight=Odyssey+battery
Cool, thanks. Found it too...searching "odyssey". Just reading it now.

cLAYH said:
I have found a way to remount the stock battery upto the firewall on the passenger side above the heater motor. You would have to use a gell cell as the battery would need to be mounted at a 45* angle. Also a bit of "massaging" of the wheel well would be required. This is on an '89 XJ that has been converted to an open cooling system and the pressure bottle removed. Not sure if it would work on a '99 or not.

Do you have more info or pics? I like this idea. I run Dual Yellow/Red tops. I don't know if they're gell-celled but I know they're mountable in any position (wish my wife was that wayP)). Should be lots of info out there on AC and belt driven OBO for this scenario (from driver's mounted battery guys)...chime in if you have some.

On my '99 that area is about as 'spacious' as it gets. I was thinking more about putting the electric compressor there if I go that route but I'd much rather go belt driven.

Last edited:
For what is worth DO NOT mount the Optima's sideways or upside down like the say you can. A friend of mine did a solid axle swap on the back of his 69 Corvette and when he did the back-half he relocated the battery to laying on its side under the car. It worked fine for awhile but it would start oozing out the pressure release vents, did this with two of them. Finally called Optima and they told him not to do that anymore because it wasn't good for them. Just a heads up.

Check out www.offroadoverstock.com and look at the OBA setups they have. VIAR makes what looks like a nice electric unit...%100 duty cycle and priced good as well.

Thanks for the FYI BlueCuda I wasn't aware of that.

I guess going belt driven means switching to a gell-cell optima or or the smaller Odyssey.

My current set up uses the Hellroaring kit and has my Red Top serving as backup/isolated, emergency only, starting battery and it's on the driver's side (airbox location). So this means ditching it and doing a ton of rewiring for it to go to the pass firewall...then moving the main/accessory Yellow Top over to driver's side and rewiring everything there. I think I'll just shell out the $200 and get the Viair.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
Why not just start by moving the batteries back into the cargo area, and picking up some room that way? I can help you with the cables.

Also, I seem to recall that there are a couple writeups out there on using a York for OBA while retaining the stock aircon - perhaps you could find those, and use that for ideas? I'm fairly sure they're not here tho - Google them. I'm thinking "MadXJ" for some reason (www.madxj.com,) but my memory isn't what it once was...

5-90

91 Jeep Project said:

What - my memory, or the link?

Seriously tho - it was just something I hadn't seen in a couple of whiles, and didn't have any need to search up myself at the moment (I've got larger things to deal with. Like, finishing the front end on my wife's 89, swapping the damn Peugeot out of my 88, ...)

At least you saved others the trouble no? Isn't that what we're here for? I really should expand upon my "links" page while I'm doing updates this summer, tho...

5-90

That's a great writeup on MADXJ...as always.

I can't move the batteries to rear cargo area as I need that space for my feet! I use the XJ a a camper...front seats get turned around 180deg...a shelf for my lcd/fridge etc is also back there. I suppose I could make a shelf for them off the roof....that's just crazy talk tho.
x1pM0jCSUoiRhAqFgkDv9cef29OqupqJogH4SFHBeTGTp2urUEIUI434NxsjvV4RMMfPSQe59APNNjsXVuaYgr9YI0moiyEPy3wY2eb8suKARCrasY29qkxe0z-E0S7qStt

Note I didn't say where in the cargo area - can you fit them longwise in front of or behind the rear fenderwells? Or, if you have the seat folded down all the time, modify the seat so that you can fit the batteries in the rear footwells, perhaps.

How do you turn the front seats about, anyhow? Do you unbolt them and move them, or have you come up with some sort of swivel mount?

5-90

5-90 said:
Note I didn't say where in the cargo area - can you fit them longwise in front of or behind the rear fenderwells? Or, if you have the seat folded down all the time, modify the seat so that you can fit the batteries in the rear footwells, perhaps.

How do you turn the front seats about, anyhow? Do you unbolt them and move them, or have you come up with some sort of swivel mount?

5-90
I still use the rear seat now and then...especially so when kids come along.

I never considered behind the wheel wells...there is a ton of space there on the passenger side (just a first aid kid I'd have to relocate). That would allow me to use the area by the blower motor for a heat exchanger. Still a lot of wire to run....definately keeps the option open though...thx.

LynchMob said:
I still use the rear seat now and then...especially so when kids come along.

I never considered behind the wheel wells...there is a ton of space there on the passenger side (just a first aid kid I'd have to relocate). That would allow me to use the area by the blower motor for a heat exchanger. Still a lot of wire to run....definately keeps the option open though...thx.

Mock up your wiring runs with 1/2" rope, and I can help you with the cabling if you give me the measurements. I'm probably going to expand my electrical line soon, and all my cabling is cut to order anyhow, so no trouble with "custom" jobs (apart from make sure you got your dims right - I'll confirm with you, but once I cut it, it's YOURS. Standard kits don't have that problem...)

Link for my site is in my sig, and I can give you some tips on handling wiring runs like that.

5-90

That's great of you to offer. I'll for sure be in touch, if I go that route as wiring definately isn't my 'forte'. I did an okay job with my dual battery set up usning welding cables and such but everything is painfully slow when ya learn as ya go.

Oh yeah...the seats...d'oh!

While having them swivel would've been ideal I just couldn't make it work. The seats are too tight a fit to swivel between the b-pillar and console. I just use wing nuts and, because the bases are offset, swap sides when they go in 180deg. (driver to passenger, passenger to driver). Fit perfect that way, stable, recline just enough and very comfy after long day wheeling/fishing/etc. Having them pop out in under one minute per side is also really nice for cleaning the jeep.

LynchMob said:
That's great of you to offer. I'll for sure be in touch, if I go that route as wiring definately isn't my 'forte'. I did an okay job with my dual battery set up usning welding cables and such but everything is painfully slow when ya learn as ya go.

There are advantages and disadvantages to being autodidactic - and you're seeing one of the downsides. However, once you DO teach yourself something, it tends to stick a little better, I've found, than if someone else hands you the answers. An advantage!

I may not get back to you straight away, but I try to answer everything within 24 hours (usually around 0200, which is why all my main comms are via email...) - just don't be too disappointed if I don't hand you the answer outight. I try to stimulate thought and encourage learning, which makes the lesson stick in your mind a little better.

"Start a fire for a man, you keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life..."

5-90

Back