• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 From Rubicon (direct bolt on??)

profonde

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

What is the easiest D44 swap for an XJ? I heard that the new TJ rubicon D44's will be a bolt on?? And i heard that the diffference is just the size of the ring and pinion. So arent there any strength gains for the axle shaft etc..?

but would be if i just take the case, carier ans ring&pinion and then stuff in some goood axles from superior moser etc..??? Dont you agree? better ideas?

i'll race this car so i need some strength with minimal weight gain . ill run 31's with 4.86's so what you thing buy superiors for D30/D35 or buy a D44(which type)

Desert racing? Ditch the turdy five anyhow. XJ D44 rear. The Rubi 44 is LP, so no gain in DS angles, clearence, and such. Its a glorified D30 in my opinion, but it should be stronger than one. Get chromo shafts for it, truss it, gear it, lock it, and have fun.

maybe a Chrysler 8 1/4 to the rear will do the job. If a get a 8 1/4 rear with 27 splines is it posiible to convert it to 29 spline ?

profonde said:
maybe a Chrysler 8 1/4 to the rear will do the job. If a get a 8 1/4 rear with 27 splines is it posiible to convert it to 29 spline ?

With the stock carrier, yes, but you have to have it machined to accept the 29 spline axles. If you go with a full locker, Detroit, then just buy some 29 spline axle shafts.

profonde said:
Hi guys,

What is the easiest D44 swap for an XJ? I heard that the new TJ rubicon D44's will be a bolt on?? And i heard that the diffference is just the size of the ring and pinion. So arent there any strength gains for the axle shaft etc..?

If your talking about a rear 44, I believe it is 1989 XJ's with a tow package that have a 44.

12GaugeXJ said:
With the stock carrier, yes, but you have to have it machined to accept the 29 spline axles. If you go with a full locker, Detroit, then just buy some 29 spline axle shafts.

He wouldn't want to touch the 8.25.....he said he's running 4.86 gears. The deepest the 8.25 goes is 4.56, not near enough for what he wants to run. Although, personally, I really think 4.56's would be fine for 31's and 4.86's would be crazy overkill.

There is an axle sticky at the top of the page. Don't remember if it covers TJs but is a hell of a good sticky over all. There is a lot of good info on this site. But before you put much time and $$$ into ANY swap. Get a tape and spend some time taking YOUR own measurements.
If anyone going to be wrong costing you time and money let it be YOU.
If it's the OEM axle out of a real Ruby then it IS a locker with some nice shafts. You can't get a Ruby without a locker.
I have seen more then one sticker Rub if you know what I mean.

First, what are you looking at for speeds when racing? I've got 4.88's and am on 31's and other than being good off the line, it would suck for racing. I can barely get to 60 on the highway. Like 53guy said, 4.88's are overkill.

Second, having compared the D30 in my 95 XJ to the D44 in my dad's Rubicon, I would say your money would be much better spent on your 30. Like 12GuageXJ said, "Get chromo shafts for it, truss it, gear it, lock it, and have fun."

And for the rear, if you're still set on 4.88's, go XJ44 or look at an 8.8. If you're willing to go to 4.56's, an 8.25 would hold up fine if you do it right. I've seen a 27 spline with 4.56's, chromo shafts, and a locker hold up to 35" tires with no problem.

steer clear of the rubi D44 front. that low pinion 44 gearset is about the same in strength as the HP D30. sure the rubi has 30 spline shafts but CrMo shafts for the D30 will laugh at everthing you throw at it. in fact, if your gonna keep with 31" tires then CrMo's are all you need. leave the front open or maybe just a limited slip but nothing more. 4.88's is way to high for 31's unless your doing short course racing. 4.56's for sure.
what kind of racing are you doing? unless its tight twisty stuff, you should think about going 2wd.

The problem with the hardened shafts besides they cost so much, is that your pinion gear becomes the weakest link. I'd rather break a u-joint and destroy the shaft than break a pinion gear and take the chance at destroying the locker. Unfortunatly we still dont know what kind of racing he does.

Hi,

The kind of racing we do here is a mixed type. There are times where we go slow to go over some steep bumps and times we race in the woods. But the max speed i ll say wont be more than 70 mph so i guess 488 will be ok but the auto tranys gear ratios realy suck. ı should go for a manual

profonde said:
Hi,

The kind of racing we do here is a mixed type. There are times where we go slow to go over some steep bumps and times we race in the woods. But the max speed i ll say wont be more than 70 mph so i guess 488 will be ok but the auto tranys gear ratios realy suck. ı should go for a manual
what auto tranny? no overdrive?

Back