• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE SYE any good??

Semper Fi

NAXJA Forum User
I just talked to a shop close to me about putting an RE hack and tap SYE (RE1807) and a (RE1898) driveshaft on my 2001 Cherokee. He told me that it wasn't a good idea because they will bend. I use my Jeep on the road about 90 to 95% of the time and when I wheel I don't really do a lot of rock crawling, I like to trail ride and mud a little. If any of you are from PA, or know Rausch Creek, I have dome the Green trails because I don't have any lockers, but will the RE hack and tap be ok or will it bend like he says it will?

A lot of my friends and I have been running the hack and tap for years with everything up to 37's and I have yet to see one fail, and that is with some hard trail time. That shop is full of crap and trying to sell you something that will make them more money. Do the install yourself. It's easy, and I have a little writeup if interested. I don't know how many installs I have done, but can knock one out in about an hour or less.

I installed my RE Hack & Tap and haven't had issues except for a heavy vib that I get at 65+ to 80 MPH, I've changed the pinion angle and the freaking vib is still there. Anyone knows how can I get rid of this vib? It's like a hummmmmm that I get at that speed... Very annoying......

I kinda thought something was wrong. When I was talking to him we went from the Hack and Tap to the heavy duty conversion and a Tom Woods driveshaft for $700 in about 2 minutes. I would like to read your write up about the install if you wouldn't mind and I think I'm going to order the SYE and the driveshaft tonight or maybe in the morning. I also will be ordering a 3.5 RE3060 lift also. I found a place that will sell it to me for $524 plus shipping.

One thing you might want to keep in mind,you have a 2001(96 and older dont seem bothered as bad due to the yoke length/housing).I originally bought the H-N-T set-up for my 2000,while it was an improvement it wasnt enough.I ended up buying a HD kit,that was about 5 years ago and still running smoother than the day I bought it!On a side note,one of the locals came over to pick up one of my 2 old driveshafts.The 95 was 2 1/2" longer(AW4/242/D35) than my 2k(AW4/231/C8.25).

RCP Phx said:
One thing you might want to keep in mind,you have a 2001(96 and older dont seem bothered as bad due to the yoke length).I originally bought the H-N-T set-up for my 2000,while it was an improvement it wasnt enough.I ended up buying a HD kit,that was about 5 years agoe and still running smoother than the day I bought it!On a side note,one of the locals came over to pick up one of my 2 old driveshafts.The 95 was 2 1/2" longer(AW4/242) than my 2k(AW4/231).

A HNT is still an SYE and I run one because I have a 242 on my 99. On my old 2000 XJ I ran a AA HD SYE on my 231 and they are both equally as smooth and never had issues with either.

btw, my hd sye and tw shaft were like $500, so $700 is a rape anyways.

doesn't sound to hard but I think I'm going to try and find someone to do it for me. I don't want to screw it up as this is my DD. I was reading that thread and you guys started to talk about shims. Will I need a shim with the RE 6030? I have a 3 inch lift on the Jeep now that I put on, so that part doesn't scare me, but the lift I have on the Jeep doesn't have any shims.

Yes, you will need shims. I have found the 4* shims to work great with the 6030 full pack kit on all the installs I have done, but the correct way is to measure your angles.

I was just talking about this with my wife and I remembered that the shop I was talking to earlier also told me I would have to cut off my spring perches and re-weld them in a different place to make the SYE work right. Now I know this is bull$hit and that is prolly why I forgot until now. Anyway from what you guys have said, the Hack and Tap will work fine and I will order it in the morning. Then all I have to do is find someone here that will do the work without shooting me a load of bull. Thanks for all of your help!!

Well the spring perch thing is actually true if you want to do it right. A lot of guys just go with shims to point the pinion up. I cut my spring perches off and welded on some new ones to get my pinion pointed in the right direction because I am not a fan of shims. I've seen too many of them breaking.

Let me ask you this then, do you think that I might not need a SYE and just need to shim it? I'm running the 3 inch kit now and have vibs at 65 to 70 mph. I have also read on other threads that you can use a front driveshaft from a ZJ on the rear of an XJ after you lift it, can I go that way? I can get a hold of ZJ driveshafts no problem.

im running the heavy duty one
its made by tera flex but is in an RE box
got the same thing in a procomp box and it cost be 40bucks less then from RE

Back