• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When draining the tranny...

knottshawk

NAXJA Forum User
Approximately how much tranny fluid will come out? I can't trust the spec sheets because there will be some left in the torque converter.... right? This is the AW4 by the way...

Actually, you'll get about 3-1/2 if you pull the plug. The threaded part does protrude upwards into the pan, so it will retain some. You'll get the full 4 quarts if you pull the pan - or you can top off with four quarts, and start the "four-quart" cycle from there (that's what I do most times.)

It's not generally necessary to drop the pan. I'll do it the first time to check everything and clean the magnet in the pan, and then I'll probably drop it every third or fourth after that for the same reason. The "filter" is little more than a sump strainer, and if you find crap in there, you probably have larger problems.

I usually use a cork gasket (it's what I get, and they work rather well) with a little RTV Black on both sides to finish sealing. Clean the pan edges and mating surface on the case with Scotch-Brite pads to remove residue.

I have found that using about four studs (one on each corner) helps immensely when getting everything lined up and started - they're M6-1.0x25m/m, if you have a local source for them.

5-90

I also get about 3.5 qts when pulling the plug. What I do is drain the fluid and the then roughly measure how much comes out using a 1 gal milk jug. When refilling, initially put in a little less than you took out. Run the vehicle to bring the fluid to operating temp and then carefully add fluid until it comes up to the mark on the dip stick.

knottshawk said:
Approximately how much tranny fluid will come out? I can't trust the spec sheets because there will be some left in the torque converter.... right? This is the AW4 by the way...
If youre flushing you can use the specs to see how many quarts to run thru it

Back