• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmision skipping around/not locking up

RyleyF

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 XJ with an AW4 and about 216k on the clock and it won't shift properly. Gears 1-2 will shift fine, and then I'll get up to about 35, and it'll downshift, sending me up to about 3k RPM with no TC lockup. I'll have to basically floor it to go anywhere and it'll finally shift into third sometimes at about 45. OD Basically doesn't work, as it'll stay in third no matter if it's in OD or 3. This whole time it wants to downshift and I can feel it trying to decide which gear to go into.

What can the problem be? I'm thinking TPS because it's been raining for the last few days and they're pretty water-sensitive. My dad's had this problem with the same jeep in the past and he fixed it by putting in a new computer (don't know whether it was the TCU or ECU). Any thoughts?

i am having a somewhat similar problem. Mine will drive decent until i let off the gas and have to speed up again, then it will slip 3-400 rpms and then grab. I was going to try the BG tranny flush but if it could be the TPS let me know so i can give it a try. If i have the power switch on and floor it it will pull all the way to redline strong without a problem.

Back