• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TrXus MTs, USERS only. need some experience

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i searched, and searched....aaaand searched. came up with a lot of info on these tires....90% of which was about as contradicting as it comes. Enough so that i need my own thread about it.

Some people say these are the worst wearing tires theyve run yet, getting 15k of usable tread out of them, others swear by them and claim they have gotten 40-50k out of them and they ride like an AT. Some say they ride spectacular on the road, others say they balanced so poorly that they have vibration (sometimes severe) at highway speeds no matter what they do. About the only consistant info ive found is they are a Great all around tire for offroad, and they are very heavy tires.

I am at a dilemma between running these, or BFG MTs for my next set of tires in 35" flavor for my DD. I have BFG MTs (33s) now and have been happy with them but may want to step it up to trxus if its worth it. What do you people have to say about these tires. Only users of them please, ive just about gotten all the 2nd hand info available already haha.

thanks all

I am running 31" TrXus MT's and have been very happy with them. Not a lot of road noise and they have good traction even on wet pavement.
I have only put around 1500 miles on them so I can't say anything about the wear.
I have had pretty good experience with them in mud.

I have 30K miles on mine with 50-60% tread life left on them. I should get 45K-50K no problem. 265 75 R16 (32")

Mine were very quiet for the first 25k, But have since gotten loud as a BFG M/T. And have also developed a balance issue, mainly that Interco doesn't make round tires.

I love these tires for a daily driver/weekend wheeler. also they are cheap.

Hope this helps

From my old post

First trip out on my new mt's I aired them down to 12-13 psi. Terrain was deep-v ruts with little to no rocks (Bartlett lake, AZ) Apparently I pinched the sidewall and took a big chunk out of the sidewall. The other side flexed enough to allow small rocks to enter between the rim and bead causing air to leak out. I have to purchace another tire to replace the one with the hole in it and use this one for a spare. I now keep the psi about 18-20 so traction has been affected.

mt2.jpg

They ride great on the street. I am still hunting for a spare but national supplies are low and most places are backordered.

MY next set will be TSLs again. LOud but I love them.

I just switched back from bfgs to trxus m/t's. I ran the trxus on my old jeep as well. So far what I have discovered. The BFGs are really loud compared to the trxus but the trxus are nearly new. I believe they are pretty equal in the mud maybe a slight edge to the trxus. Rock I didn't do as much as I wanted but the trxus has the edge. Sidewall the trxus has the edge. (no problems yet anyways). The trxus balance out just fine on my jeep. As far as pavement the trxus rule because of the sipes. Other than that I love my trxus but now that my jeep is a trail rig I really, Really want some bias ply swampers (iroks/sxs). I am thinking I might sell my nearly brand new trxus----------------Kyle

I seem to have real similiar comments to what everybody else has been saying....

I have them in 31's, and overall i think they are a good tire for a DD rig that see's some decent wheeling. They seem to be pretty good in the mud so far, along with good traction in the rocks. I usually run about 12-14 psi. Only complaints I have, is like d10shun, about 3 of my tires have gouges in the sidewalls. Obviously this can happen to any tires but it seems like the trxus get them pretty easy.

I have no issues with balancing at all, and mine definately seem pretty quiet for a MT. Tread wear seems decent.

They are heavy my bro has about 5,000 miles on his 33x12.50 they are a little bit quieter on the road than the BF's, and a little better in the rain. As for the mud my BF's seem to outperform the trXus. That could be because he is trying to spin heavier tires. I was thinking about going to 34's w/more trimming but the weight of the tires is the only thing holding me back. both are a thumbs up you won't be unhappy with either.

I had 34's my first set of Trxus. The bad is they are heavy, and they do take a lot to balance, especially on a steel rim. I was big into MT/R's, but I enjoy the Trxus much more in every field, especially on the road. The are much quieter, and each lug has three sipes in it, so I felt much more comfortable with them in the rain and snow/ice conditions. The center groove and overall setup of the lug design is awesome. I put nearly 50,000 miles on my first set of 34's (rotated about every 8-9000 miles, ran 25PSI, alignment always within specs). If your alignment is bad, the tires wear quickly. If you air up too much, they act a little squirrelly, I guess mainly due to the narrow tread pattern. I kept two of my old 34's as spares as they were not down to the wear bars yet. Bought four more 34's and four 31's for my wife's ZJ. Sold the second set of 34's about 100 miles later, because I am working on full widths and getting a set of 37" Trxus instead. The smaller tires, like 31's, I have noticed wear a little faster, but that is to be expected due to the more number of rotations it takes to travel the same distance as a 34 or 35" tire. My wife's 31's have about 14,000 miles on them now, and I can guess getting atleast 40000+ out of them at their current wear.

So what everyone is saying-they are tough but weak like donut?
From a rig point of view I would not buy them. I have owned a set of them and had the same sidewall prob. Wtf? After owning BFG, PRO COMP, MTR's i would not purchase TrXus again. I like my rockcrawlers. It all depends on how u take care of your tires. As far as balancing goes just look at em.

JEEPTUBE said:
So what everyone is saying-they are tough but weak like donut?
From a rig point of view I would not buy them. I have owned a set of them and had the same sidewall prob. Wtf? After owning BFG, PRO COMP, MTR's i would not purchase TrXus again. I like my rockcrawlers. It all depends on how u take care of your tires. As far as balancing goes just look at em.

what is a rig point of view?

i love the one's i've had on the XJ for about 10K miles. no tears in the sidewalls yet, not too noisy yet (WAY better than my old BFG MTs). I would not hesitate to buy them again.

cheers

i am in the same boat as you , i am also looking at the truxs mt . i have heard allmost all good about them the only thing is the balance thing . i was also considering getting the pro comp xterrain but thay are out of the running , so it has come between the truxs mt and the cooper discovery stt , sorry for the hijack but take a look at the coopers also and tell me what you think

I run the 31x10.5 TrXus, 28 psi on the street and 12 on the trail. I absolutely love them. I've never gotten stuck in the mud, and seem to be able to get out of most situations with less wheelspin than other rigs, even with my high 3.07 gearing. I can't comment much on the wear, since I've only had them on for about 2,000 miles. I do rotate them often, though (just about every time I take off a wheel, I rotate the tires). For the type of wheeling in my neck of the woods (some rocks, some mud, some snow), they seem to be perfect. Great on the street too.

IntrepidXJ said:
because MTRs suck out east where there is mud.

my 2 cents: if you plan to wheel, get the TrXus....they are an awesome all around tire. No tire is perfect, so there will be downsides to any MT tire you choose on-road
yeah the noise and such doesnt really bother me much, just a matter of vibration and non balancing/wear issues, which all basically play into one another.

great info from everyone so far, thanks everybody

the more opinions/experiences the better

I've gone through 1 set of 31s and 2 sets of 33s.I could only get about 20K miles out of them- all 3 sets wore about the same.Once they wore down to about 1/4 tread I had to stay on top of keeping them balanced.Other than those two gripes I thought they were great.Rocks, mud, snow and on the street they performed great.I running 35" MT/Rs now but if the TrXus didn't wear so fast I might still be using them.

planefixer said:
I've gone through 1 set of 31s and 2 sets of 33s.I could only get about 20K miles out of them- all 3 sets wore about the same.Once they wore down to about 1/4 tread I had to stay on top of keeping them balanced.Other than those two gripes I thought they were great.Rocks, mud, snow and on the street they performed great.I running 35" MT/Rs now but if the TrXus didn't wear so fast I might still be using them.

You are comparing Trxus MT wear patterns with MTR's?????.......you are either running them at the wrong pressure, alignment is out or doing burn outs at every chance you get. I am on my second set of trxus's MTs, in the 35" flavor. First set 33" lasted at least 55K miles and you could probably squeeze out another 5-10K before they hit the wear bars. You are right that the more worn they get the more you have to rotate and balance them. I went with innovative balance beads which helped out alot, put about 10oz in to balance the 35's. I have probably 20k on this set and they are wearing just like I expect, I can easily get another 30k out of them, and if you can swing it do a 5 tire rotation, get even more out of them.

If you want the best overall radial tire for the east coast that you can drive everyday........Trxus MT's........everything else just doesn't keep up. Ask my SSR, BFG MT's, MTR driving buddies how they know.

It really sounds as if you've already made up your mind, but here goes anyways; I had great on and off road traction wet or dry with my trxus but i coud not get rid of the imbalance vibe while cruising untill I ditched them for a set of BFG mts'. My buddy runs his trxus ( bought same size same day) with great success; he loves them. I sold my trxus to another friend and he has no problems. with vibes, so he says and he loves them..

Having said that, we trail all over the place together and no one tire has proven itself "better" yet. So it seems to me to be the old Ford vs. Chevy arguement......which ever you like AND have goodluck with is the best one for you. Best luck , Mike

Looked into MTZs? $168/35" tire

Back