• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Identification of Dana 44

ihscoutlover

NAXJA Forum User
I own several Scout II's and Travelers. These came standard with the Dana 44's front and rear. I would like the 44 in my '94 XJ and need to know if they are basically the same by looks or #'s of cover bolts, or if not how are they identified in the junkyard? I have access to several yards having several jeeps, need to know what years to look for and what options or packages-ie. laredo, country etc might have had these on them. Thanks

Jeff

1987 is the most common year, with the HD towing package. They will look like this:

coverdana446je.jpg

more info at http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/xj_dana44_02/

jeepr said:
In a Jeep you can look for the screw in plug rather than the rubber one for quick ID. Then look for the shape posted above.
:bs:
early Dana 35 axles came with screw in plugs too. You need to look at the cover.

I wouldn't use this forum to trash the scouts, since all the ones I own have been around longer than our XJ's and were built stock way more trail rated than the current "trail ratings". I have pulled some non running Scouts around with mine, but I don't trash Scouts, since I would prefer it over my XJ as far as stock offroad and towing capability. The Scouts have their place as do the Jeeps, so we should just leave it at that.

Jeff

By the way, I don't own P.O.S. Scouts either, they each have their own personality. So thanks for playing.

Back