• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 dont work

This may sound dumb but you know you have to be in neutral to engage 4LO right? Just put it in neutral and try to back it out while rolling really slow. Other than that, tell us what you did to get it stuck.

What transfer case do you have? On my 87, I have to be coasting or rolling, and while rolling put the tranny in neutral, and shift back to two wheel drive. This is a common quirk of the np242. I almost took my transfer case out but I got this info just in time. Went outside rolled down my driveway and it went back into 2 wheel drive. Hope this helps

yea i was workin on it with my dad but we even tried rolling it but it didnt work we took the linkage off and messed with it and thats how it got stuck in 4 low

If you tried driving in 4low on hard pavement, the gears will bind up, making it very difficult to get out of gear. You could jack up the front or rear (both wheels) and see if that helps.

JeepCherokee said:
yea i was workin on it with my dad but we even tried rolling it but it didnt work we took the linkage off and messed with it and thats how it got stuck in 4 low

The linkage may be out of adjustment now.

Back