• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad luck or something(tranny)

bigsliks

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 91 XJ limited Auto trans yesterday, the truck was driving fine I took it out for about half hour before paying the guy. I took it up a huge hill and the truck shifted great, checked fluid level seemed a bit high but was very clean and still is very clean today. about an hour ago I picked up my wife from work and on the way home it now won't shift out of first gear:bs: this is BS for sure, I will be talking to this guy tomorrow for sure.
now I took it off road just to check the 4 wheel drive yesterdayfor about 10 minutes, and that was fine (this is very stock so nothing major).
I also pressure washed the motor yesterday( but the truck was still shifting fine after that)
The idle is a little rough since this morning.
and the check engine light is now on since I picked up my wife an hour ago.

any help Thanks

Pressure wash on the intake manifold perhaps??? You could have toasted your throttle position sensor on the throttle body. Did you disconnect the battery before the washing??

TPS and the computer tell the tranny when to shift. It no worky, you no shifty!

OK I went and tested the TPS with the volt meter the reading I got were
input 10.19 and output 10.21 then I divided those and I get a number like
.998xxxxxxxxxxx is this correct in the way I and doing it? also how do I adjust it to get the correct number or is it toast?

thanks

Did the same when I first got the my jeep...power washed the engine before I knew anything about it and fried either the TPS or CPS. Had a service station fix it so I forgot what was replaced as it was many years ago...but anyway same symptom engine wouldn’t shift out of first after power washing the engine.

Input should be between 4 and 5 volts. In a perfect world 5 volts. Just did my TPS recently on my '89 and the input voltage was 4.5v.

For my jeep it worked out this way.... 4.5v x 0.82 = 3.69v

Are you sure you are reading the correct wires? 10.19 is out of this world...could be a short!

Last edited:
those numbers came from the sensor beside the TPS the one that has ABCD on it, I tested the TPS as per FSM and it was out of wack so I put a new one in, and it seems to be shifting fine. I hope it stays that way because now it's leaking antifreeze and I'm about to replace the water pump. This is crazy! I just bought this 2 days ago!!!!!

thanks

Lesson learned...

Before taking a pressure washer to an engine you are NOT familiar with, DON'T...

My first pressure washing I blew one of the hoses on the charcoal canister clear off. Weeks of smelling gas fumes before I found it. Fried my IAC on another early cleaning binge.

Well with the new TPS installed it seems to be shifting fine and the idle is alot better, yes no more pressure washing! also installed the new water pump. not to bad of a job!

what should the temp be, at normal operating temps, my gauge sits at about 100-105C is this about right?
I might need to add some more water to the rad since I drained it to do the water pump.
thanks

Back