• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heim steering conversion bolt????

Jimminyc

NAXJA Forum User
Im drilling out my knuckles and going with 3/4 heims on some pipe and it was brought to my attention that there may be a special tapered bolt i will need to use that will take up the slack in the already tapered knuckle to properly convert over. Im just going to run both the drag link and tie rod onto the pass side on top of the knuckle. I was thinking that a bolt with a tapered head to fit into the hole would be stronger in the end, but im not sure where to find one.
Has anyone done this conversion with/without a tapered bolt?
How did it work out for you?
Would grade 8 be best for a single shear setup like this?
should i just drill it out and not worry about a special bolt?
Thanks!
Brian

dscf0192.jpg

dscf0193.jpg

dscf0194.jpg

dscf0195.jpg

Is this what your thinking about, no need for tappered bolts, you can drill out the knuckles to 5/8" or 3/4". Just make sure to reloctate your axle trackbar mount.

Pipe! I hope you are not serious. Get some DOM Tubing at least .188 wall (3/16").

i reamed my knuckles out to 5/8" because QA1's hiem joints have a higher radial static load than the 3/4" hiems and that i thought that drilling the knuckle out to 3/4" would make it weaker point, i hope this helps you with your decision and if you are going to hiems you might as well put the tie rod over the knuckle for Extra clearence that you will prolly need.

I'm using .281" wall DOM tubing and 3/4" (5/8" bore) QA1 heims.I drilled my knuckles and pittman arm out to 5/8" and used grade-8 bolts.Dont forget to get some high-misalignment washers.

yea, not pipe, DOM. i mean, i was actuall planning on reusing some extra galvanized exhaust pipe i pulled off the pinto. :)
Ok, so ive read different stuff about heims. Now my wife may be driving this on the road some, so i have been waffleing a bit. I found all the 7/8" 1 ton rod ends for the project for about 100 bucks. about what ill end up spending on heims. I dont know, im sure there are guys driving on the road with heims that are totally satisfied, i would just hate to risk it. Its not worth it to me if its a risk.

Just use a quality 3/4" shank, 5/8" bore heim with a good grade 8 bolt.

I would also recommend safety washers for all single shear mounts. Anyone who sells heims will sell them also.

FK, QA1, etc.

Check the vendor section.

Ive been on my aurora heims from PSC for about 1 year now and Like them a lot...

7/8" heims with 3/4" bore...

Wow... the red cherokee live on! Chuck, you do save OLD pictures. I run that same setup on the newer XJ, have zero problems. I like to run the 3/4"shank with 3/4" hole because that is what the panhard uses. I like to carry one spare for multiple applications. On the new new jeep, I am going with the same joints (FK Teflon coated) but using 5/8" bolts rather than 3/4". I am going to use misalignment spacers that neck down to 5/8", then sleeve the others that dont use the spacers.

Material wise, min. .250" DOM. I like 1.25"OD because the 11/16" ID which taps a 3/4" with no machining. I like hiems, never had a problem. The only one I have ever seen break was a metric cheap joint.

Back