• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Relay box question????

villestrip

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready to install a relay box kinda like the one Fitchva insatlled in my jeep. My question is if I use a fuse block like he did is it bad if the relays that I have also have a built in fuse? They are the hella relays and they come with a fuse built in. Is that too much fuse or am i ok? Here is the article he wrote. I am using the same fuse block as in picture number 6.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60117&highlight=distribution+block

If all your relays already have fuses built into them there is no real need for the fuse block. However it won't affect anything by having it there.

So it won't double the fuse size. Like if it has a 15 amp fuse built in and the fuse block has a 15amp. Will it still be 15 amp or is it now 30amp.

It sounds like overkill - but if you can't GUARANTEE a steady future supply of relays with inbuilt fuzes, having the external fuze can't do any harm.

Granted, I'd design it with an external fuze box anyhow - but I've got a steady supply of relays without fuzes, and it therefore makes sense.

If you can guarantee a future supply of relays with inbuilt fuzes, there's no reason to add secondary fuzing to the circuit - but keep it in mind. It would also be prudent to carry spares with you, since fuzed relays can't usually be had just anywhere...

5-90

Back