• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33s or 35s vote for what you think is best for me:

33s or 35s

• yes 35s

Votes: 26 28.3%
  • no stay 33s

Votes: 66 71.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Okay looking to get some new tires and either staying 33s or bumping up to 35s. I will eventually one day hopefully by end of summer have my XJ like I want it 8) Anyways staying with hp d30 front and 29 spline 8.25 rear. My setup is 4.56s/ open front and 4.56s and Powertrax No-Slip rear. I am also willing to go with some Superior rear axle shafts since they are only $110 a pop, plus I already have spares.

My main concern is the dana turdy, if this was your DD and you don't like breaking stuff what would you do? I do NOT want to put $$ into the d30. I also have a nv242 which some people seem to think is a weak pos, while I do see desert racing Jeeps runing them with 35s no problem. (STAK 2-speed coming later)

I'm going with MT MTZs and to tell you the truth I just think of 35s cause they are only $10 more a tire. :doh: and of course the obvious advantages.

If you dont want to put the money into alloy shafts up front, you're probably better off staying on 33's until you upgrade your front end later..

35's will be fine with your setup. I know quite a few guys that run 35's with that exact setup, locked front and rear, without any problems. Occasionally you will break a front joint, but not very often if you are a smart wheeler, and not just balls to the wall on the skinny petal.

cal said:
If you dont want to put the money into alloy shafts up front, you're probably better off staying on 33's until you upgrade your front end later..

X2 - also, some folks may argue that you need to go with 4.88's or better for 35's. Additionally, you will need to trim the fenders for either, more so for the 35's.

BUT... I just got 33's and am I certain that I will go up to 35's once this is not my daily driver.

Last edited:
No, you don't need to run 4.88s to run 35s. I daily drive my 99 XJ on 35s with 4.56s and the pickup is great from a stop, On the highway at around 70mph the rpms are at a comfortable place, etc.

Not to mentions 4.56s are the lowest you can gear a 8.25.

Right now i'm running open front and rear with this combo

99 Jeep XJ - NP231, SYE, 4.56's, 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts, RE 5.5" XD Lift, Skidrow TC Skid, ORT Rear Bumper + Carrier, Rigidco Front Winch Bumper + Steering Box Plate, Milemarker 8000 Winch, Rock Sliders, HD Currie Steering, Control Arm Skids, Optima Red Top, Trimming, Bumpstops, Steering Stops, and a few other goodies...

I'd like to lock the front sometime this summer with an aussie or something similar.

gregmondro said:
No, you don't need to run 4.88s to run 35s.

I understand that. I simply said that some folks may say this...

Yeah, I understand completely :)

just a note though, if he's gonna bother go to lower, he'll have to get a rear end that'll allow that anyway (8.8, d44, etc). Sorta making his post asking if he can run 35s on his current axles useless :p

rpraterxj said:
X2 - also, some folks may argue that you need to go with 4.88's or better for 35's. Additionally, you will need to trim the fenders for either, more so for the 35's.

BUT... I just got 33's and am I certain that I will go up to 35's once this is not my daily driver. I have the same axle combo as you, but I am running 4.88's.

Don't tell me, lol. I'm the guy saying 4.88s and 33s haha. Just with the 8.25 I can't go lower than 4.56s and I am going one ton rear next so it stays for now.

By the way 4wdHardware has a sale going on. No shipping charges on orders over $300. (4) 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZs for $519 shipped.

ZachMan said:
Don't tell me, lol. I'm the guy saying 4.88s and 33s haha. Just with the 8.25 I can't go lower than 4.56s and I am going one ton rear next so it stays for now.

I mistyped and said I had the same axles, but I do not. I have a D44 rear and D30 front. But I am running 4.88 and 33's. I like it. I figure I will go to 35's late next year and did not want to regear then. It does great on the trails and not bad on the highway. I turn about 2800-3000 RPM at 75 MPH.

I vote 33s just for the simple reason to keep it more dependable on the trail. I don't like breakage so I would stick to 33s.

BA

i have 33's and could easily fit 35's but i dont have the money for them and i dont have to run bumpstops cause i dont touch or rub at full flex.(except for the rear tho cause i got mad wrap). and i plan on staying at 33"

I had to make the same decision, about a week ago. I was actually running 35's with 4.56's, and decided to drop back down to 33's. Easier on axles, brakes, ball joints, you name it. I also ordered the MT MTZ's but paid out the ass for them. I wish I would have known about that deal from 4wd hardware. Needless to say, 33's gets my vote.

Scrappy said:
Honestly.. where will 35s take you that 33s wont go? Nowhere. Stick with the smaller tire. You will be happier.
Ya gotta be kidding me!!:laugh2:
How many times have you gotten hung up on something and only needed that itttssssy bittttsssyyy bit more clearance to get over or up or thru it!
Big difference...
But having said that.....
I have a great time with my 33's.
With a 30 and a 8.25 with 4:56's.... :D
But...come on....we all have spent big money
just to make it just that much easier to get there!
:cheers:
Rick R

I voted 35's but now I see you are from Alabama. If you wheel with your right foot in it, you may want to stick with 33's. I couldn't believe what the guys put their D30 through in Moab for IC on the Rocks. We didn't have any D30 breakage in the groups I was in. Pritchett was one...Whatever.

Bigger tires do complicate everything. They Rock!

ZachMan said:
By the way 4wdHardware has a sale going on. No shipping charges on orders over $300. (4) 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZs for $519 shipped.
I want a full report on these treads! They are likely to be my next set, only slightly smaller! I'd go to 35's if I was you, your likely to want them later, and If you are swapping to a 1 ton in the near future, just be careful until then! If you weren't planning the 1 ton's, I'd say stick to 33s! You get those shocks on yet??:wave:

nobody has really talked about the daily driver effect.... for cool points, hard to beet bigger tires, but real world, 33's will help with breakage, GAS mileage, handling, stopping, etc.

I vote 33's, but then I am just a little guy on 32's!

Allot to be said for wheeling and not always fixing your junk.

Back